Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Reference For German Stamps During WWII

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 632Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
65 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ccrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see that Scott's does not list many of the WWII era German stamps during Hitler's rule. What is the best source for values on stamps of this era?

Thank you,
Chris
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
1200 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi.
Michel "Deutschland" or "Deutschland-Spezial"catalogues
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4376 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are looking for a Michel Deutschland-Spezial catalog, you may want to consider buying a used one. You would be looking for "Band 1" (volume one). This covers all of the Germany area stamps from the German States through WW2. The prices and listings remain very much the same for many years, so you could buy a 1990, '95, or 2000 catalog without losing any information. With the catalogs before 2001, the prices are given in Deutschemarks, which translate to about 50c U.S. per DM.

A new Michel Deutschland-Spezialcatalog might cost $100 or so. You could buy an older used one for $10-$15. You always do better on price when you do not make a hasty decision.

The Michel catalogs are German language, but this is generally not a problem. And, if you have questions, you know that SCF is a place that offers help and advice.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2653 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can always see the retail values on web sites like this:
https://www.briefmarken.cc/briefmar...-863?c=54737
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
65 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the info. I will definitely look for an older catalog. I will also check out the link to Briefmarken.

Thanks,
Chris
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
909 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ccrider,

As mentioned above, Michel is the "go-to" source. I am much more familiar with Michel than Scott's treatment of Germany. It's much better organized.

I'd be interested in seeing what stamps you have difficulty finding in Scott. There were a lot of semi-postal stamps issued during that period and some of the stamps issued for occupied countries can be hard to find. Sometimes you have to hunt. The index and identifier at the end of each Scott catalog can be a help.

There are some real Germany experts here. Why not post a few and we'll give them a shot?

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
65 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ccrider to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good idea, Dan. I am just getting used to the Scott's catalogs I purchased a month ago. I will do some creative searching and post some of the problem stamps.

Thanks,
Chris
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
909 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris,
An afterthought. One of our forum members, PostmasterGS has an excellent website on Germany to 1945.

Worth checking out.

https://www.germanstamps.net/
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a very nice English version of Michel Germany Specialized. It comes in 2 volumes and goes up to Germany under Allied Occupation. It skips German States, WWI-era occupations, and Saar. Yes, it's pricey, but a drop in the bucket compared to many of the WWII occupation issues (at least that's how I justify it).
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 10/20/2019   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poofo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michel is the way to go. The last English version was 2016 I think. With the English language version, you need both volumes to cover WWII; however, with the German language version you really only need the first volume. These can be quite expensive, but if you shop around you can frequently find them for about $50 US per volume.

Another good source is the book: "The Philately of Third Reich Germany 1933-1945" by Robert W. Jones. This book is an update of an older book by Harper. The older book is somewhat collectable and generally goes for about $100 US, but the newer book usually goes for $30 US or so -- and the newer on has more info. It is not a "catalog", but it has all the stamps from the era with Michel catalog numbers. It also has nice coverage of postal stationary. Very good book, and I highly recommend it.
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poofo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh... A few more things.

If you are interested in used stuff from that period, then a good reference to postmarks is essencial -- so may fake cancels in the wild. The best reference I have found is here:

https://www.stampsx.com/ratgeber/st...atenbank.php

Secondly if you are interested in postal stationary of the period, then Michel has a catalog for that (Ganzsachen-Katalog Deutschland). A very good online source is here:

http://www.ganzsachen-online.de/

Lastly, quite a lot of zeppelin mail during the war. Michel has yet another catalog (Zeppelin-und Flugpost-Spezial 2017/2018). They also have an older one in English.

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 632Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05