Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tupperware Box Of Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wannahocalugie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My name is Cheryl and I've never collected. inherited a collection with very small stamp books and mostly wax envelopes of all sizes with stamps from the U.S to quite a few other countries. I've read about the terminology and have to admit I only understand a quarter, if even. I get that for some this is relaxing, but my shoulders are tight guys, not understanding this as I never knew a collector. Maybe it would be different if someone had guided a bit when they collected. I just do not see the difference in the stamps to take a guess at the year produced. Here are some of the stamps in the collection and I believe all are used in some way, but could be wrong. Neat stamps none the less. There are two Franklin stamps that are different colors, one darker than the other, does this mean that one is counterfeit? I read about that too and just have no clue how to tell. I compare pictures with stamps and sorry not seeing it. Some seem to be original and others are definitely cancelled. I'll share as more pictures are taken.

Send note to Staff
Edited by wannahocalugie - 10/15/2019 12:39 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1907 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A belated welcome to SCF!

Quote:
There are two Franklin stamps that are different colors, one darker than the other, does this mean that one is counterfeit?

No, no counterfeits here. But stamps of this design can get altered (perforations recut, perforations cut off to imitate coil stamps, forged overprint added) to try to imitate expensive stamps. Not the case here. Different color shades are often just from different printings of the same issue. The right stamp might be from a booklet pane.

The 2c strip of 3 is, as you might already know, is a Confederate States issue from 1863. This HAS been forged but is not engraved like your stamps are.

The 2 stamps below that strip are from the 1898 Trans-Mississippi issue.

An immediate worldwide reference is the StampWorld site which might be useful for just touring at this point if you haven't used it yet. Otherwise, Scott catalogs are available in your local library's reference section with some older ones often available for checkout. The "Information for collectors" in the front of every volume is a must-read but can be overwhelming even though you have a head start. But it can also answer a lot of questions, whch you can always bring here regardless.

Looking forward to more pictures.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/15/2019 6:43 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05