Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us Counterfeit Stamps = 20% ?????

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

657 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Glenn Estus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In the October 29, 2019 issue of Canadian Stamp News concerning postal counterfeits, Jim Phillips, Canada Post director of stamp services "...pointed a finger at bigger markets like the U.S. and the U.K. where counterfiets have caused significant losses in recent years.

"While upwards of 20 per cent [boldface added] of the stamps used to pass mail in the U.S. are counterfeit, Phillips said, there's 'no estimate' for their Canadian counterparts."

Has this number been reported in the US stamp news?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where does this estimate come from? Seems awfully high to me. You'd think that if 20% of stamps in use were counterfeit, USPS would be all over it. Are they?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If 20% of stamps are counterfeit, then wouldn't there already be mass incarceration of people prosecuted 18 U.S. Code #8239;501? Think of the hundreds of sales on eBay daily and what percent might be counterfeit. If there are laws on the books, please enforce them to get rid of the counterfeit problem.
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Obvious nonsense, I say! It's probably off by an order of magnitude. So either 200% or 2%, take your pick. Even then, I would guess 2% is a little high. And another thing, how would this Canadian Mr. Phillips know what percent of US or UK stamps are counterfeit, but have "no estimate" for Canadian stamps, for which it's his job to know?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly, @matossian and @torin.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3799 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Always a toughie. Counterfeit, smuggle or sell.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2079 Posts
Posted 10/15/2019   10:30 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
20% is not close to accurate - I know someone what is a mixture sorter who looks out for counterfeits and they are not common. Even 2% is too high.
Valued Member
116 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The key word here is "upwards". 1% is "upwards of" 20%.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2079 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   10:20 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"1% is "upwards of" 20%."

sorry but upwards mean more than
Valued Member
116 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I stand corrected.

So, at least 20% are fakes in US? Absurd. In that case collectors would be posting all sorts of counterfeits here to illustrate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3799 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Less than 1% are actually counterfeits. Much less.

According to another post the USPS loses are $135 million per year due to counterfeiting. A smallish amount compared to the multi billions the USPS is involved with handling.

Edited by redwoodrandy - 10/17/2019 12:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3280 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found many printing freaks and at least one imperforate in modern U.S. kiloware, but to my knowledge I have never seen a counterfeit in any of it.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 10/17/2019 12:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lpmiller to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Collecting counterfeit stamps might be an interesting and amusing topical area to pursue - if it's legal. I've always been interested in the bogus copies of US Scott #807 that may have been the most significant counterfeiting of US postage in history. Wouldn't mind having one in my Prexies collection. Are they sold on eBay?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lpmiller to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, my goodness! Just checked eBay and am totally gobsmacked. Literally hundreds of bogus US stamps - singles, pairs, PNC strips, sheets, and one #807 for sale. Something about this doesn't seem right. Where is the Treasury Department and the FBI while evildoers are flooding the market with bogus stamps for many, many times their face value? I am shocked!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3799 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US certified counterfeit.

Valued Member
116 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many fakes might be legal due to the way laws and rules are written. For example, pre-copyright stamps might be legal to copy and sell. Perhaps it's only the use of them for postal services that's illegal.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05