Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Netherlands WW2 Mint Sheets- How Are These Valued?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
64 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Wigeon44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A friend's father brought home to Canada about 50 sheets of mint stamps, 50 stamps per sheet, from Holland after the war. These include Scott # 245-261, 217, 266 and 277. The individual single MNH stamps are all common with so many printed and valued at 25 cents each in Scott. How are mint sheets valued for the Netherlands in this era? I can find nothing in Scott or online about this. I know some collectors specialize in this area so would appreciate your feedback so I can advise the owner. Many thanks! Apologies for the poor quality photo of a corner of one sheet taken to ID his stamps.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
531 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps of this series are unfortunately low in value even in sheets.

A lot of these sheets were bought during WWII by blackmarket dealers to "park/wash" money.

The stamps became invalid from 31 May 1946.

The blackmarkets dealers were unable to sell the sheets before 05/31/1946 because no one wanted to buy stamps, a meal was more important(I suspect that your friends father traded some cigarettes or chocolate for the sheets).

So a lot of sheets hit the markets in the following years. And a lot of material on offer means a low price. This never changed through the years.

They do look attractive when framed.

Kind regards,

Johan.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Johan for this interesting stamp history after the war in Holland. I'll pass on the information. He will be disappointed but will continue to value the carefully preserved sheets for their rich colors and design beauty, as well as being a link to the memory of his father.
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Johan - have you seen any of these sheets on sale recently on eBay or other sites? If there is still a lot of this material out there it should be common in various online sale sites but I haven't been able to find any. If you are aware of any resent sales please advise so I can pass along to my friend. Many thanks again-- Rick
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found a sheet of the 4c stamp for sale on eBay along with a few coins asking $16 so guess this is he ballpark value though they are not yet sold!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-era-Ne...AOSwR5BbB2-r
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
531 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have taken a look at some recent sales here in the Netherlands.

They average around 5 euro(approx. 5.50 us dollar) per sheet.

I believe that to be a fair market value for over here.

Supply and demand in other parts of the world will most likely be different.

Johan
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much Johan.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05