Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Safes For Stamp Albums, Stockbooks, Etc.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
160 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Andyrich74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Been looking for a second safe to house less firearms, and more stamp albums; but seem most I've searched for are tailored towards guns and less toward books/literature/paper.

Any out there have a decent safe with adjustable shelves that accommodates books and so forth?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3670 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem always becomes humidity control. I use different products in my gun safe to combat moisture but it is a pain. Paper and stamps are not worth the risk unless I guess you live in the desert.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fireproof safes have a double wall with an insulating material in between. During a fire this material hydrates to keep the temperature down inside the safe. But that causes everything in the safe to be subject to very high humidity levels. Not good for mint stamps.
Valued Member
Learn More...
160 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies; I use the silicon desiccant packs in the bottom of my current safe to help control humidity; although it is strategically located as well in a room with a return air and a register over said safe; best I can do in SW Florida.

That said, looking for models/makes of safes more tailored towards books and paper.

I've actually thought about simply turning an existing closet in to somewhat of a "safe" room by installing a metal door as well, but prefer a safe.

Thanks again.
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A Solid Hardwood should do, Yale locks drilled deep so they cannot be stuffed with cloth or paper to keep them open. I wish I could move to TX where one can shoot thieves.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05