Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Washingtons Perfed On 3 Sides Imperfed Lower Horizontal??

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
39 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lostandfound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey team I hope this finds you well..!

back to the washingtons.. I am trying! read a wonderful article im sure it was in stamp smarter.. (nice plug.. least I can do!) about the identification of coils rotary presses and being fluent with dates and technique so that recognising them is more specific. Yes well I have these two and I have tried.. im just not sure what they are. I did see an earlier post with similar. but not quite the same. I guess variety is the spice? thank you in advance!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2256 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US coils will have 2 straight edges on opposite sides.

Your stamps are from sheets. Specifically, a press sheet of 400 stamps is cut into 4 panes of 100 for retail sale. Your stamps were from the edge of the pane, along the cut lines.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
39 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks john. gee I thought they all had a number?! I do feel that mr red has a type 111 mouth dont you think john? such a lovely serene smile. Unfortunately type 1 left ribbon and possibly type 1 hair locks, the rest heavily indented with holes? apparently its an end bit. It looks like T and H just lower. I shall investigate this further! maybe send it in to Stamp smarter as a new thing! also looks like snails have crawled over the holes! odd!
Pillar Of The Community
2256 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Short answer: your red stamp is either Scott 332 or 375.

Longer answer: Note the "TWO CENTS" at the bottom as opposed to "2 CENTS 2". The 2 numbers above will differ by the watermark in the paper. This should be fairly easy to follow in StampSmarter.

Similarly, StampSmarter can help you ID your 5 cent stamp. Specifically, determine the perforation rate first to narrow down the possibilities ...
Edited by John Becker - 10/16/2019 9:19 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
39 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'thanks john I know it must be painful with the "me's" but you know the we's really appreciate it. here I was thinking I was off getting smarter on stamps! I got the blue one as either 378, 355, or 361 from my deductions in stamp smarter. its a long process. I always held little regard for the technically specifics of them all. have a great day john thanks for your help. il go investigate watermarks! he may be a bit common but not in my book he seems so serene as if hes already got the future planned from the past.. and that lovely smile!
Pillar Of The Community
2256 Posts
Posted 10/16/2019   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blue stamp: (you mean 335 instead of 355), which are all perforated 12, but do consider perf 10 and 11 also because (hint) your stamp in not perf 12. Yes, these can be confusing with all the varieties.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05