Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying Year Please!!!!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wannahocalugie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. I found this cancelled Japanese stamp in the collection and as part of cataloging, I need to identify the year. Now through research it looks similar to the 1876 and the 1883 version of this stamp, but that can not be right as the middle is oval not round. Any ideas for me?
Also, cool bonus. The cancellation mark on this other stamp reminds me of an evil eye. Cool huh? Thanks again for any info.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
747 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michel # 71
Date of issue : 01/01/1883
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by vayolene - 10/17/2019 12:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the Japan 1 sen is from 1883, Scott 72. If you were looking at Scott, note the code for the picture next to the number, and you will see they refer to this oval design (again). That's a telephone cancel on the stamp, quite common. So it appears that one could go to the local PO to pay telephone bills where they would use postage stamps to receipt paid bills.

The double oval is called a mute cancel as there is no city or date shown on it. It was used for many years in many cities and towns. You will find others in your collection with city/town and state between the ovals and sometimes a local office name in the center.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05