Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The End Of Glassines? Say It Isn't So....

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1151 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stampman2002 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I placed an order for a substantial number of Size 4 glassines with Subway Stamp Shop back in July. It was on back order all this time. I've spoken with the people at Subway every 2-3 weeks to check the status of the order. The delay was because the manufacturer was having equipment problems.

Yesterday, I received an email cancelling the order. The reason is the the manufacturer, MeadWestvaco, is no longer manufacturing glassine envelopes.

I've been able to find a supply which, hopefully, will fill my needs forever, at least that is the dream.

I'm unaware of any other manufacturer of glassine envelopes in the USA.

Has anyone else run into difficulties obtaining glassine envelopes?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
748 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just search glassine stamp envelopes and you will have a very long list of dealers selling everything glassine. That is probably just one company not bothering with manufacturing them as demand may not be as great as it used to be. Used by many for much archival material preservation as well as stamps, photographs, negatives etc.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3770 Posts
Posted 10/17/2019   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by redwoodrandy - 10/17/2019 10:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2548 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How many supply dealers have you contacted? When I ordered supplies from Subway, they always had items out of stock so stopped using them.
Al
United States
2 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rwarde to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazon has them, all sizes. Just do a search on there website.

www. Amazon.com
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1215 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just purchased a pack of 100 from my usual source.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3659 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   6:16 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I buy a smaller size glassine in packs of 1,000 that come out of Germany.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3682 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05