Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A Way To De-acidify Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Louise411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello there from Trench Town,

I have read that dipping acidified paper in alkaline free water will reduce acidity.Is this true?
Also, since most of the acid in milk is in the fat, would dipping them in fat-free milk and then water help?
Are there any other ways to do this?

Would this help with old brittle American stamps? Or is that old glue?
Send note to Staff

United States
2 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rwarde to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that will help. The acid in paper is more or less bonded at a molecular level. If a stamp were a living thing acid would be in its genetic make-up so dipping a stamp would not strip away something that is engineered in naturally. The issue with lignin in paper is that over time it reacts with sunlight. So, keeping the stamps in an air tight, dark, low humidity environment will definitely prolong their lifespan. Also, once a stamp becomes brittle like that it usually means that the damage is already done. If, the stamp is particularly valuable I would get some good quality hinge-less mounts and mount them in a way that it would be impossible for them to slip out and not handle that much. Thats the best I can offer.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems you have been reading information on some dodgy websites. Here is a link to some accurate information (Library of Congress):
https://www.loc.gov/preservation/
Learn More...
7309 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   08:43 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You cannot reverse toning/acidification. There are products you can buy to prevent further acidification such as
http://www.subwaystamp.com/ARCHIVAL...o/ZPTWATTAM/
http://www.talasonline.com/deacidification

I assume that a sodium bicarbonate solution would also work but am unsure if this is an approved archival method.

I would add to rwarde post that lignin does not need light to generate acids in paper. Once any buffering has been depleted, lignin can break down in the dark too (i.e. with constant variance in temperatures and RH).
Don
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
Posted 10/20/2019   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you as always for this information.
Pillar Of The Community
648 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   03:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazon used to see a Duplicolor (the spray paint company) de-acidifying spray that was waaaay less expensive and just as effective as the higher-priced stuff. But I don't see it listed anymore. There must be some product out there that sells for less.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05