Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 247 National Memorial Ottawa Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
6542 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Posting this oddity on Scott 247....Looked at my sheet Plate 2-1 and saw this irregularity on Position 40. Hoping I can get help verifying whether this oddity is a fluke or a possible constant variety.
It is not on my sheet 1-2.

Any help appreciated
Robert

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6558 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, I do not see a difference ?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
6542 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter..There is no difference, same pic, one circled and one not

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
748 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ottawa war memorial. Looks like a spent casing. Will have to go through mine now.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6558 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, my bad. You are talking about that small line that looks like an engraver's slip ?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
6542 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh, my bad. You are talking about that small line that looks like an engraver's slip ?

Not bad at all Peter, and yes..May be a slip.

Robert
Valued Member
United Kingdom
302 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought that there was only one engraving done for each design of stamps and this was then reproduced. In that case an engravers slip would show on all the copies in the sheet. It also does not look like a repair so perhaps some accidental marking ?
Pillar Of The Community
2258 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Robert, I do not see a difference ?

I agree with the above. If one wants to point out an unusual stamp oddity, it would be helpful if it was shown with a normal example for comparison. AND an illustration of a full stamp to give an idea of what stamp this is all about.

I also agree with anthraquinone's thinking, the engraver makes the die, the platemaker makes the plate - two completely different skill sets and equipment.
Edited by John Becker - 10/19/2019 6:52 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
403 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have your oddity but I have one of my own. I have two black lines running through the date 1939. One is quite prominent, the other which just grazes the tops of the numbers is less so.

I don't have a second copy to compare it to, so I hope my face will not be red on finding out that's the way they all are.

Pillar Of The Community
6542 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought that there was only one engraving done for each design of stamps and this was then reproduced.

Quote:
it would be helpful if it was shown with a normal example for comparison

Ok, now can we get on with other collectors checking their stock to see if it is a possible constant variety.
Any help appreciated..Thanks ahead of time.
Robert

Quote:
I have two black lines running through the date 1939. One is quite prominent, the other which just grazes the tops of the numbers is less so.

Hi itma..Those lines are normal for sheet plate 2-1..I have made an Excel sheet on what I call reverse plating and which stamp goes where associated with their position..Still processing the finished product.
Robert

itma..Here is a small example of what I am working on...
Edited by wert - 10/19/2019 8:23 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
403 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Robert. So my face will only be half red.

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
6542 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank...No problem my friend..Stamping is an on going learning lesson.
I still depend on guys like John Becker to keep me on the right path...I am always learning.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4718 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@No1philatelist

Quote:
Ottawa war memorial. Looks like a spent casing.

Just curious, what is a spent casing ?
Pillar Of The Community
2258 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lines through 1939:

The lines in the date area are simply a matter of the registration between the two colors. When the black is printed low, the steps print into the frame area. Compare the 2 stamps above. It seems logical to me that this could occur with any combination of frame and vignette plates.

I have no idea what "reverse plating" is.
Pillar Of The Community
6542 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have no idea what "reverse plating" is.

Hi John...Just a nick name that I apply to a full sheet, taking each individual stamp in each position so some one with just one stamp could put a position of his/her stamp..Not earth shattering, trying something different..i know, a waste of time..correct..?

Robert

Quote:
Just curious, what is a spent casing

Edited by wert - 10/19/2019 11:07 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05