Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Paper Watermarks On Old Documents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Greece
141 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add manosp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Paper watermarks on old document , does anyone know what they use for and if they have any value ?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
initially they served to identify the paper maker before the widespread use of machine made paper. afterwards they were also a mark of quality for better handmade papers. they also served as a security feature for both kinds.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2258 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see anything of value in these documents. Common stuff from Alexandria,property sales.The watermarks are nothing extraordinary.All papers in that time period had many different papermakers names."Ettore de Ritter Podgora" could interest someone collecting
paper makers names.I Ritter was well known and came from an old family of Frankfurt.He moved in the town of Gorizia(near Venice) in the mid 19th century.Later as president of the Chamber of commerce of Gorizia he became very influential.He owned cotton mills and the papers watermark is one of his lagacies.He died in 1878 in Vienna.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1204 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love old documents, especially when they bear stamps that form part of my overall collection.

Thanks for showing manosp
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27211 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely watermarks, enjoyed viewing yours,
How did you manage to capture? backlit and camera?
First time I have seen this query on a stamp forum.

Valued Member
Greece
141 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manosp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks m and m, perf12, Bobby De La Rue, rod222 !

rod222, backlit and camera , yes that way !

Bobby De La Ru, from the document of Ettore de Ritter, I will make another photo from the other page of the Document with the lion watermark tommorow, is really beautiful one !

Perf12, thanks for the information of Ettore de Ritter ! , Now from the other side the document with the Colne Valley watermark, is a document from Crete (La Canea area).. For more references about the watermark you can check here
https://www.trmt.org.uk/Research-Ed...hn-Dickinson
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27211 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a very foggy memory, as a kid, seeing watermarks on blue British Airmail envelopes? Prop driven aircraft as I recall.
I have no substantiating evidence.

http://www.memoryofpaper.eu:8080/Be...l_start.disp
Edited by rod222 - 10/18/2019 7:57 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27211 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your "Colne Valley Parchment" is listed (Glasgow Great Britain) ................see above link
Edited by rod222 - 10/18/2019 8:02 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27211 Posts
Posted 10/18/2019   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ettore de Ritter Podgora not listed, albeit "Ritter" appears ubequitous.

Noted in "Samaritan Scribes and Manuscripts" (Jewish I presume)

Podgora is located in present Croatia.
Edited by rod222 - 10/18/2019 8:16 pm
Valued Member
Greece
141 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manosp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info rod222, but I think means the podgora Italy according this link https://letsgo.gorizia.it/it/sagome/ettore-ritter/
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27211 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done manosp, solved.

Sadly, "memory of paper" offers no webmaster contact, so we could not add your Podgora to the database.

Edited by rod222 - 10/19/2019 6:37 pm
Valued Member
Greece
141 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manosp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the two pages of ettore de ritter watermarks

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27211 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the background paper screening, fascinating.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05