Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

#388 By My Novice Eye. 9.5 Perf And 26mm Tall. Coil, Horizontal.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add durant7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been lurking for a year. I have decided to create an Excel inventory of all the stamps I have from my Father and Mother who collected as youngsters as was so common I assume in the '30s. My current plan, inventory and ID all stamps and see what they have and then decide how to improve on the collection for the next generation. Focus is US. Other country stamps is more than I can wrap my newbie head around.

I have the below stamp and it seems to be a #388 by my novice eye. 9.5 perf and 26mm tall. Coil, horizontal. Doubt it was trimmed. I assume I am missing something as the collection is youthful for its era and as such is pretty common stuff. Dad born '23, Mom '28. This was in Mom's album, hinged of course. I used their vintage perf measuring tool.

Appreciate the education.

*** Edited by Staff to clarify topic title. Titles are important! ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2285 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard!

You are partly on the correct track. The Washington/Franklin stamps of this era are challenging for many collectors. You are correct in identifying this as a coil stamp and perforated 10 vertically (rounded off in the catalogs), however, looking closely, notice that your stamp has "2 CENTS 2" at the bottom rather than the "TWO CENTS" of 388 - a different design.

I am unsure what ID resources you are utilizing. The Scott US Specialized catalog has a very good identifier section in the front and does the StampSmarter.com website. These sources should serve well to advance your education. Good luck.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The straight edges are not perfectly straight. They have been trimmed. If it is perforated 10 on the sides, you have an intentionally damaged 425 or 463 (very cheap stamps) to resemble a more valuable 453. Still a used 453 is a $50 stamp in used very fine condition.
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your scan is distorted. . .but I still think it is a trimmed stamp.

Pillar Of The Community
2285 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philazilla, the stamp is a type III, thus a coil. It appears to be the correct original height. The stamp must be either a 455 or 492 depending on the watermark (or not).
United States
4 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add durant7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that was a rookie error. This stamp and others are in a World United State And Foreign Postage Stamp Album as published by Stamp & Album Co. of America 5 Union Square NYC. Interesting to me, they have their own numbers, perhaps in direct competition with Scott. And my two vintage Scotts, one has numbers, one does not. It is a project for sure. I will work to pay better attention.

Based on the link below, I have a great deal more work to do to narrow down which one I have. More research on flat vs. rotary determination.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa...ntifier.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1266 Posts
Posted 10/20/2019   12:05 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the perfect time of year to buy a Scott United States Specialized Catalog of Stamps and Covers. The new 2020 edition has just been releases. Many dealers and some collectors sell last year's catalog at a big discount as soon as they have the new one in hand.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 10/20/2019   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The distortion is from a camera. It's a type III without a doubt. The color wash and visible scratching in it reinforces that this a rotary issue, too. So depending on watermark, yes, its a (real) 455 or 492.

durant7, you deserve points for working out part of the puzzle with these complicated issues. Check that watermark, check out the StampSmarter table to convince yourself that what we say it is is correct, and please let us know what this is.
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 10/20/2019   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. I'm with John now. I was so sure about the crooked edges, I stopped checking.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Durant7,

Welcome. Glad that you finally decided to stick your neck out and join us. Of course, we like the fact that you are going to try and continue your parent's collection with an eye toward a future generation. You have probably read a lot of posts on here about Washington/Franklins and on the stampsmarter site so you are on the right track. Remember to use the search function to try and find earlier threads about whatever you are looking for here as well. This group is a fantastic resource. If there is a stamp club in your area, try to attend. Face to face chats are wonderful. Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5724 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you deserve points for working out part of the puzzle with these complicated issues

Also points for good images!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05