Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice Regarding A Collection Of Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

7 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GeorgeTS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

I was fortunate enough to be gifted some volumes of old stamps. The collection is not accompanied by an index and I have absolutely no experience in stamp collecting, so I thought I would turn to the internet for help in determining the rarity of my newfound stamps.

Posters here seem helpful and appear to enjoy looking at other users' collections so decided that I would start from here. I have uploaded 140 pictures that showcase the contents of the volume "Cabo Verde – Estonia" to the following link:

https://photos.app.goo. gl/YohbdVH1k6G2exnf6 (Please remove the space between the goo. and the gl For some reason if I remove it it does not work)

I Look forward to hearing what everyone thinks and thank you in advance for your help.

George
Send note to Staff
Edited by GeorgeTS - 10/21/2019 10:26 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6549 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your link is net working

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
130 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that's the internot for you!
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeorgeTS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason it does not allow me to post the full link.
The right link is the following:
https://photos.app.goo. gl/YohbdVH1k6G2exnf6 (Please remove the space between the goo. and the gl)
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This link worked. Hopefully it's the correct location.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...YUNCVkM5LVZB

Do not copy and paste into your browser, just click the link.
Edited by Moyock13 - 10/21/2019 12:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1792 Posts
Posted 10/21/2019   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a nice, clean collection, nicely presented, but no fabulous rarities here, I'm afraid. That's to be expected. Most stamps are of minimal value here (and generally) but there are a few here that potentially are worth a dollar to a few dollars, like the blue Canada $1 stamp with the destroyer.

You might show us the US part just to check that.

The collection here ends before 1960 or so, therefore being "old" does not necessarily mean "rare and valuable". If this collection is intriguing enough to keep and even actively expand, you have an excellent start. An online reference is StampWorld, Scott catalogs are available in the reference section of your local library, and there's us here at SCF.
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/21/2019 3:37 pm
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeorgeTS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Moyock13 for your assistance with the link, I hope that this time I won't face the same problems.

Hy-brazil I uploaded the album which contains the United States stamps among others, on the following link:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...NVd5X3RVSnZB

I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1792 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   04:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the look and the hard work again. This is similar to the first group shown. The best thing there are the Thule stamps, probably $20-30 together if undamaged. The US has a few items worth a dollar or two, but most of the commemoratives since 1940 or so are great looking but are of minimal value.

Overall, it's been a pleasure to see the parts of a nice, neat collection.
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeorgeTS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hy-Brasil thanks once more for your valuable input, I am amazed with people like yourself who are knowledgeable in so many different categories of stamps.

I think I am going to take a break from uploading, since this has been time intensive, but for now I uploaded the third (F-G) out of the six volumes given to me. From the little I learned during these 3 days, I suspect that this will be the most interesting volume in the collection.

Among its contents is a penny black stamp which I understand has some value even if it is not really rare. Perhaps more interesting will be the Greek stamps since the person who created the collection was Greek. Among them there are some really strange Epirus Chimarra skulls and many Hermes heads which -in my limited understanding- seem notable. I would love to hear what people think about the stamps included in this volume.

The link is the following: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...ZkFLQXpmSWtn
Edited by GeorgeTS - 10/23/2019 12:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at your German stamps. You have a nice selection and they look to be in decent condition, too. If they were my stamps I would remount them to be in a more chronological and political entity order. For example, issues of Feldpost, DDR, German Empire and Third Reich are all on the same page.

If you want additional German stamps I would be happy to send you a bunch.
Valued Member
Learn More...
160 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing special in your Ecuador stamps, although a good start. Are you planning on keeping the collection? Have found that Ecuador is fun to collect, and most stamps are pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking.
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeorgeTS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Germania and Andyrich for your input, I will heed your advice when I decide what I am going to do moving forward.

For now, my priority is to upload the additional 4 volumes since there were 7 volumes in total, not 6 as I wrote earlier. The person who collected the stamps had obviously cared for them and I would hate to store them somewhere without sharing them with people who would appreciate them first.

I enjoy the process of going through the collection, learning more about the stamps and seeing the users' feedback to the different categories of stamps. After I upload the volumes, I will see if I am drawn to a certain category of stamps and wish to expand upon the collection.

Edited by GeorgeTS - 10/24/2019 07:05 am
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In your Greek stamps, on the page with the large Hermès heads, you will find two Austrian newspaper stamps. They are the two Hermès heads looking left, with no words and no denomination.
Valued Member
Learn More...
160 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck, George. Keep posting, and hope you decide to start a collection.
Valued Member
Canada
427 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some nice stuff, definitely lots of potential areas to specialize in - enjoy!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1792 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A nice group again with some better. Any values given below are retail for undamaged stamps.

The first page of Great Britain has 3 horizontal format mint stamps at the bottom, is $30-40 as a group. If the used £1 has a black cancel (postal) and not violet/purple (revenue cancel), that's about $15. The Penny Black is about $40-50. It's all about having margins, centering and eye appeal, and one with 4 fuller margins would be worth much more.

Greece: page 13, the two coin design stamps, the black and white Pythagorean theorem stamp on page 15 and the island stamp on page 30 are a set, about $40-50. The skull and crossbones stamps on page 28 are found under Epirus. The 3 on the top are forgeries and the damaged one below is indeterminate but is likely a forgery, too. On the last page, the 20L orange on bluish paper is about $40 (4 margins), the others of the same design (Large Hermes Heads) are hard to figure without larger and clearer images. Nothing potentially a roaring rarity there but potentially worth $5-20 each. Below that is a watercolor-like set worth about $20. There are a number of revenues throughout, mostly minimal value; these are not listed in postage stamp catalogs.

The overall collection is not really put in date order so you might decide to do that in whatever you decide to keep. Even with (say) Greece, there are still a lot of stamps that could be added to the time period covered. Those are not necessarily expensive. To carry this collection onward, look to buy groups and small collections to get more bang for your buck.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.82 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05