Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Minkus Global Album Countries List

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
On Sunday I bid on and won a collection in two volumes in Minkus Master binders. I'm not sure if these are complete and the seller didn't know.

Has anyone ever run across a listing of which countries were included in the various editions of the Master and Supreme Global albums? I am planning on going through the albums to make a checklist of sorts, similar to the work that has been done for the Scott International volume 1. If nothing else, such an exercise would be a great way to learn more about an album.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dale
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4386 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   06:16 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might look here

http://goscf.com/t/68566
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa,

Thanks for the link. I had read that one at some point but forgot about it.

The albums were delivered today and I'll be picking them up on my way home from work. The seller turned out to be surprisingly close, so a one day delivery time.

Dale
Valued Member
Learn More...
360 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1840to1940 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have not seen such a comparison. Although I cannot imagine doing it myself, what I think would be the most useful would be a list of the stamps in the Supreme Global as currently reprinted by Amos with Minkus numbers and then the Scott equivalent. (I'm going to blissfully ignore any copyright problems with such a concordance.) Since I assume no one uses Minkus numbers anymore, a collector trying to fill the Supreme would need to know the Scott equivalents so this wouldn't be extra work. And the Supreme's helpfully include the Minkus numbers.

There have been some interesting threads in the past on the Global albums. One thing I remember is that while Minkus may have been more editorially consistent than Scott was with its Blue Internationals, there are issues from edition to edition. For example, countries in the Supreme "lifted" from the Master Global, and vice versa. Which is why I suggest treating the Amos reprint as canonical for the purposes of a contents list.

If you pursue, I hope you will share your experience.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add electroprecancels to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, there is no table of contents for a Global album. You will hopefully get the index, which is used primarily for locating small countries that are consolidated out of alphabetical order.

There is really no way to determine if you are getting the whole album as published without another complete set to compare it against since there are no page numbers in the Globals.

If you get all the countries you may still have a page or two missing here and there. It's a fact of life on buying a used looseleaf book. Pages go missing.

Happened to me on every piece of a Supreme Global I have bought. Probably happens on Scott Internationals as well.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy it. I am a fan of the Minkus albums.

Bill
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
646 Posts
Posted 10/22/2019   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Amos reprints also have issues moving from part I to II to III as pages were missed compared to the originals by Minkus.

It is possible to get the missing pages but you have to email Amos as they have to search in the archives and then print the pages.

If the pages were heavier, I would try to find original Supreme in 2 or 3 volumes and then all the supps after that.

I have no idea to what year was printed by Minkus as some were also printed by Novus Debut Inc but not sure how many they actually printed.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After getting the albums home, I took a quick look. This is the Minkus Master based on the title page. I did see an index, so I will use that as a starting guide to verify whether any countries/areas are missing.

Unfortunately the paper is a bit on the tan side so I won't be using this to store any stamps. It should work for my goal of learning a bit more about the Minkus worldwide albums.

After recently reading the following post from 2018 on the Big Blue 1840-1940 blog, the thought of a side virtual "Minkus Master" collection has an appeal.

http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.co...p-album.html

Dale
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking a little more closely, I see the main album is the 1956 edition. There are multiple index pages.

Supreme
Master Global, 1951-1954 editions
Master Global, 1956 edition
One with no identifying description

Flipping through a couple countries, I see coverage extending to 1957-1959 so at least one supplement may also be included.

Some pages have no Minkus numbers while others do.

Luckily I also picked up a pair of Minkus worldwide catalogs from 1961, so those should help a bit if there are any stamps not easily identifiable.

This should be a lot of fun to go through. Although at some point I will need to try to find another copy to use for comparison.

Uh oh, I think I like studying stamp albums.

Dale
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05