Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Irish 1/2p Sword Of Light Blocks With Imperf. Top Or Bottom Border - What Scott #?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27483 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice work Jill (22 Crows) (sent me a pic of the souvenir sheet) beaten by Vayolene

So the slogan appears to be a long lasting issue, have to convince the Irish to put on a full address

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod, Vayolene and Jill!

Wonder if the postoffice would have accepted these sheetlet unmarked labels as valid postage, or possibly there were other valid stamps placed on the envelope along with this label--I only have the remnant pictured. If the later, normally you'd see the label left attached to an adjacent stamp, which wasn't the case here. One would think that having fully perforated labels as part of a sheetlet would encourage the public to use them as legal tender and impact revenue.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27483 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wonder if the postoffice would have accepted these sheetlet unmarked labels as valid postage, or possibly there were other valid stamps placed on the envelope along with this label--I only have the remnant pictured.

Can only be speculation. The CDS (circular Date Stamp) part of the slogan, would have been on the left.
From my own experience, I have used, and received stamp "tabs" on mail,
if I am posting and there is a gummed tab, on it goes.

The tab may have gone through the machine canceller solo, but I doubt it.
Most people are honest, sometimes a collector may and try to post a tab as a bit of hijinx. If that were the case, I think the entire cover would have been salvaged.
Edited by rod222 - 10/23/2019 3:08 pm
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rod for your ideas on the tabs.

I am cataloging a number of Irish stamps accumulated recently and appreciated past threads about perfins and triangular cancels which you were very helpful in as well. I have come across quite a number of perfins in this material and a few of the triangular cancellations as well so the past information was very useful.

I printed off some of The Revealer newsletters on line as well as the paper by Fred Gomo documenting perfins. I was surprised these perfins are little valued at least monetarily and wonder if this is still the case? I enjoy these stamps and find they add an extra bit of history and interest. Once I get through everything I'll develop a list of the perfins I have by Scott number to better document what I have.

I also saw some of the postal stationary squares you have collected and I quite enjoy these as well but they are difficult to document without a proper reference- can you suggest one that might be available in an on line or library source?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27483 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also saw some of the postal stationary squares you have collected and I quite enjoy these as well but they are difficult to document without a proper reference- can you suggest one that might be available in an on line or library source?

Hi Wigeon,
you shall have to source Barefoot catalogues, (Ireland Postal Stationery) the squares originate from them (mutilated stationery)
or look on eBay.

I agree with all your comments, love the Perfins and "The Revealer" so much good work goes in these bulletins from a collaboration of collectors worldwide.

hence the old nugget ..."Philately begins where the Catalogue ends"

Keep collecting and try and mount in a coherent fashion, you will get good prices if there comes a time to sell....

Update.
No Irish Catalogues available by John Barefoot

Here is some that are available, I know of no online resource.
Edited by rod222 - 10/23/2019 10:23 pm
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/23/2019   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent- Thanks Rod! Will see if I can locate some of those catalogues locally. There are active stamp and Irish communities here:)

Rick
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05