Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sellers And Tape - What Is The Obsession?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I receive a purchase from Canada, I cringe because of the lawyers

It's always something with Canada.

Quote:

Quote:

Also, who packs something with "someone has to open this later" in mind?

There is a guy that sells allunstamps who uses tape very moderately AND he bends the end back over on itself, creating a handy little pull tab. Then he draws an arrow on the tape, pointing to the pull tab, as if to say, "pull here."
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I receive a purchase from Canada, I cringe because of the lawyers

With spellcheck what can go rong
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a student named Rong, according to my roster. But he told me to call him Ron. I asked him if his name was spelled wrong, but he said no, it's spelled Rong.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
61 Posts
Posted 10/26/2019   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Especially that glassine envelope flap taped down, that's the part that scares me, if that thing opens up in shipping we have some big problems! I do appreciate the little folded tab on the tape though. Also some tape is more user friendly!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1987 Posts
Posted 10/26/2019   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don wins the prize. Extra points if his mail carrier tried to stuff this in the back corner of his mailbox so he/she could try to bend it to an angle when other mail was added.

Tape mummification seems to go along with overenthusiastic packing otherwise. A 12-stamp set piled up in a cut Showgard card piece in a taped and folded glassine in a plastic bag all wrapped in tape in a cardboard sandwich (taped) inside a small envelope is what I got recently.

I don't know why more sellers don't use removable tape. It's only a few pennies mo... ohIgetit. Seems easier to cut, too.

Edited by hy-brasil - 10/26/2019 5:24 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/26/2019   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had a student named Rong, according to my roster. But he told me to call him Ron. I asked him if his name was spelled wrong, but he said no, it's spelled Rong.

That tickled me.

PS: Personally, I never make misteaks.

Edited by rod222 - 10/26/2019 5:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1856 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am getting a lot of this recently. Many sellers ship in photo envelopes, the kind with the pull up tab to make opening easy. Many sellers slap a wad of tape over the tab. Some then proceed to do the same over the bottom of the envelope. How am I supposed to get the damn thing open? Worse I often then find the stamp or sheet is enclosed-you guessed it- in a glassine placed between two pieces of TAPED cardboard. Why, on earth? It just seems anal.

I have taken to messaging these lost souls upon receipt, letting them know their obsession took me in some cases 30 minutes or so to resolve. Usually no reply, one guy claimed he hadn't taped the envelope, the PO must have. (!)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2646 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Packages can be judged like watches...they have depth rating!
Al
Valued Member
Learn More...
203 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got one today in which the envelope was taped shut; inside was a glassine envelope taped shut, inside that was a stock card, taped shut, with another glassine taped shut.

That said, it was an Ecuador C6 being mailed from Argentina, so did not mind the time spent freeing it from its prison.
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sometimes think sellers prepare mailings as though they are being sent to distant galaxies and need to withstand light years of travel.
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
189 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and then there's this??
what were they thinking!
Actually more to the point... what was I thinking?
Where were my 'friends' to stop me drinking and bidding?

You cats are hysterical, funniest post I have ever read.. Cheers!

Valued Member
Australia
21 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   03:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gumtree55 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a self-confessed tape user, though I tend to use only enough with press seal plastic sleeves so that the contents are completely moisture proof. I have had specific requests for moisture proofed posting, especially from countries with rainy seasons and places with lots of snow in winter. As an earlier respondent mentioned I also use a bit on either end of the envelope back to help prevent and thing being caught in the sorting machines.
All my outgoing stamps are packed exactly the same.
I cannot believe how many incoming orders I have received where the stamp approval card was sealed on three sides with tape....If a stamp slips to the side it becomes a permanent fixture..
When using approval cards I generally wrap the card in glassine tissue then apply tape at the back. This is the best slip prevention measure I have come up with and the card is not damaged.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05