Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Registered Mail With A Twist

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
31 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While I'm at it here's another odd one, seems like a lot going on here, lots of cancels. Not sure which way is right side up.
All comments welcome?
I have lots more but will stop pestering everyone after this one.

Cheers, Bill

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27488 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find this cover rather enlightening,
That smudgy cancel has been evident on a lot of my Canadian stamps,
and I always assumed they were perhaps cancels from Bank Cheques etc
ie fiscal use.
To see them on cover like this is great.
It still intrigues me how they were applied...felt tip of some sort ?.. rubber canceller in decline?

I'd suggest a Registered cover, the two numbers, (405, 662) the book audit numbers, from each destination it passed, tied to the Postmarks.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 10/24/2019 3:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The question is: why did it go next door to Coe Hill and why is there no Glen Alda receiving mark?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3271 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They have the look of makeshift supplementary/revenue protection cancels.

My guess: Fabric on stick, which could quickly and effectively void the stamps...almost like a Sharpie or ballpoint pen In today's world.
Valued Member
308 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please, pester away!

I've done similar many times, written the address and the backflap was upside down, etc. Might have happened at the postal counter too, applying adhesives upside down.

The rate and markings are as expected, 2c + 1c War Tax plus 5c registration, carried by mail car to Coe Hill and probably picked up by hand at the (very small) Glen Alda PO.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27488 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob, interesting, fabric on a stick, that's a newy for me.

Why the two R.P.O's ?
Trent and May No 2 Train (May 18th)
Then CDS ???? G.T (Grand Trunk?) Ry strike. (May 17th)
Edited by rod222 - 10/24/2019 8:26 pm
Valued Member
308 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe one is Toronto and Montreal Grand Trunk Railway, while the other I think is Trenton and Maynooth Railway Post Office. I'd have to research where change of trains happened, looks like Marmora on the map I found, I am no expert in RPO cancels though.
Edited by archerg - 10/25/2019 02:37 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05