Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ireland Stamps With Color Anomalies Sc#768 And #779

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Wigeon44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw a discussion here on this topic form 09/18/2013 which was inconclusive.

http://goscf.com/t/34301

I found a similar stamp that was the centre of that discussion (ie #779 with pale yellowish coloration vs the normal Orange). I have also found two #768 stamps with the top left orange coloration shaded to a similar pale yellowish color.

Scans of these stamps are provided here along with stamps having normal coloration. Since that discussion 6 years ago is anyone familiar with these variants? Some believed in the prior discussion that the stamps had been affected by sun or a chemical contaminant. I looked at all of the stamps under UV light and could not see anything helpful but I welcome your views. Rick

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1917 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest you put normal stamps in full sun for a week and compare.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/24/2019   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I saw that idea in the 2013 thread too and will give this a try. As suggested I'll also try covering half of a normal stamp with tape to see if there is a clear demarcation line.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
915 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 10 and 41 may give the same effect as the same ink was used!
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sun fade experiment has begun with two normal stamps of each denomination. One of each is taped to see if a noticeable fade line occurs. Also a chance to test the violet 26 p stamp. We'll start with a week in our sunniest south facing window and report back.

Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Galeoptix I will test some normal 10p stamps too but have just one of the 41p in my collection right now so won't risk it. Thanks for the suggestion. Will also test the green 32 p stamp while I'm at it.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatelia7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I asked Roy Hamilton Bowen, the publisher of the Hibernian catalog and an amazing expert on Irish philately about a few similar items with red faded or appearing to be missing. He said that the reds are the first to fade when exposed to UV and that these are common.

These two stamps look very different, but all that happened was that the red has faded. If you look at them with a 30X loupe, the red dots are still there, just very faint.

Edited by philatelia7 - 10/25/2019 12:45 pm
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you philatelia. Interesting and very helpful! In your case the Red also went to yellow. Will see how my sunbathing Art Treasures stamps on the window ledge make out as time goes by..

Rick
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Working through the remainder of this Irish Art Treasures series I found another undescribed color variant, (top two stamps below) this time with Scott 794 the larger 32 p self adhesive die cut perf 11. The normal green (lower image) looks to be blue green in the upper stamps. I'll also set out one of the normal stamps in the sun with the others to see if this may be due to UV fading. Other feedback welcomed.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27525 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Colour changelings
Green fades to blue...

Learn More...
7406 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Ar...gelings.html

See John Becker's image at top of the page, he did the same light/UV exposure experiment (on different stamp).
Don
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Pretty dramatic. Thanks Rod!

Rick
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 10/26/2019   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A good article Don. Many thanks for sharing it here.

Rick
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05