Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Helen Keller Stamp, SC #1824 - Color Omitted? Dramatic Color Shift?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,157Next Topic  
Valued Member

36 Posts
Posted 10/25/2019   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add votehannibal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this in a box of wholesale scrap. Anyone have any idea what's up with this stamp? The pink is missing, and there's a break in the top section of the oval frame.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2321 Posts
Posted 10/26/2019   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there gum on this stamp?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3697 Posts
Posted 10/26/2019   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There seems to be some pink to the right of Anne's head. Otherwise, probably just a color changeling due to too much UV light or chemically altered (perhaps during soaking if no gum on the back). Interesting item, though.
Valued Member
36 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add votehannibal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's MNH
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
510 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pink and red are some of the colors first to fade/be altered by light.

This stamp is made up of Yellow, pink, lt brown, Purple, and dark brown.

To get a color omitted status, 0 trace of the color can be on the stamp. With the color makeup as noted, I don't believe it _could_ qualify even if it mustered past the altered status.

Hope that helps.
Valued Member
36 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add votehannibal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was actually that pink is so downshifted and sideshifted as to only be present at that side. Also, I'm not sure fading would explain the break in the oval frame.
Edited by votehannibal - 10/27/2019 2:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
510 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp, in particular was subject to many misregistration situations. You can find these variations fairly commonly. There are a few cool ones, but this isn't one I have seen or would mark cool.

Typically the more dramatic misregistrations garner interest and higher values. Typically these more moderate shifts and abnormalities sell for $1-$30 depending on the modern stamp in EFO section of eBay.

Here is an example high end misregistration example of this particular stamp

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1824-15c-K...302994180685

Valued Member
36 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add votehannibal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that one! It's very nice! Have you ever seen one with a break in the oval?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
510 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I shouldn't say, it's not cool. I think all EFOs are cool including yours. Just not sellable at a cool price.

I haven't seen one with an oval break. What I really meant was that EFO collectors looking for misregistrations are often looking for dramatic changes in design. With a lot of modern stamps there are minor errors that show up all the time, probably because of the sheer number these things were printed in.

Beyond invert errors typically imperfs and total color omits are the most sought after. Then probably misregistrations for modern with major shifts.

I bought this one a bit ago. I think it's similar to the one I linked above.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,157Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05