Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are "Scored Perforations" ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 836Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
103 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add philatelia7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
USA Scott number 2116, the large Flag booklet issue pictured below, lists a "SCORED PERFORATION" variety in the 2020 Scott's Specialized catalog. Would some erudite member kindly define this? I'd be greatly appreciative! Thank you!

Apologies if this has been answered before but search is disabled.

Send note to Staff
Edited by philatelia7 - 10/27/2019 11:04 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7407 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Scored" usually means that there is a deliberate colorless indented mark in the paper. In this case there should be a straight indented "line" running along and through the perfs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revcollector - 10/27/2019 11:16 am
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatelia7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha! Thank you! I was thinking along those lines but asking others is a great way to learn just a little bit more. The more I read the more I realize how much there is to philately.

So this would be easiest to see in multiples. The indentation would probably be difficult to detect on a used single unless a very large portion of the perforations remained.

I wonder if other USA issues had scored perfs.
Edited by philatelia7 - 10/27/2019 1:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7407 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would assume that singles would almost always separate along the scoring, so a multiple would almost certainly be required. I had not even heard of this example of scored perfs; I have no idea whether there are any others.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatelia7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found an example on another booklet pane!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
598 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI - The search function of the site is down but there are instructions for using the GOOGLE search on the search page. It works great.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatelia7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Very helpful.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 836Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05