Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Registered Mail Oddity Maybe?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
31 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not sure but I would think this is unusual, anyone see why I say this?
All comments welcome.

Cheers, Bill

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6570 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2273 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the letter was posted in the post office of Coe Hill.The same day it was cancelled on the reverse.Why ? Because Glen Alda is 10 minutes away in the boonies.So they
did not have a PO.
The registration itself was 10c.
You might want to check out this informative collection:
https://www.rfrajola.com/mercury/DHReg.pdf
Edited by perf12 - 10/27/2019 4:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2285 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HounddogBill, No. Tell us what you are seeing as unusual.

All three Coe Hill postmarks were applied at the same time. It is very standard practice with registered mail to cancel the flap junctions on the reverse side to deter tampering.

Perf12, you state:

Quote:
Because Glen Alda is 10 minutes away in the boonies.So they
did not have a PO.

Can you document something to contradict Campbell's " Canada Post Offices 1755/1895" indicates Glen Alda was open at this time. Or just a guess?

At most, one might expect to see a postmark of the destination town somewhere on the mail piece, but there may be reasons known to the postmaster at Coe Hill to hold mail for the recipient rather than sending it on.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6408 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned 10 covers the registration fee. The 3 stamp covers 2 surface rate plus 1 war tax.

The 3 admiral looks to be from a booklet pane. The only possible unusual thing I can see is the straight edge on the left and bottom. According to the image in Unitrade the booklet panes were stapled on the left side, so any stamp with two straight edges should have them on the right/top or right/bottom.

Not sure what else you're seeing.

Edited by jamesw - 10/27/2019 5:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3284 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 3 cent brown has a straight edge on the bottom and left side, which is normal for a certain location of a Type D post office sheet stamp. Your example is not a single from a booklet pane, if that is what you were looking for.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why ask us to play guessing games?

If you have a difficulty understanding a cover, write up what you think is happening, describe what you don't understand, and we can review what you write and possibly offer further explanations.
Valued Member
308 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Registration fee for domestic mail was five cents in 1920 I believe.. It is not clear if the cover was treated as a forward or local letter. If a forward letter, it overpays the 3x rate reg'd by one cent (1c War tax still in effect). If local, it is 7x rate.
Edited by archerg - 10/28/2019 12:34 am
Valued Member
Canada
31 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I should of just asked the question straight up.
I thought it would be unusual to only have Coe Hill cancels on it. This letter was sent and received in Coe Hill, it was sent from the son to his father. This made me think it never left the Coe Hill post office.
There was a family dispute and father had moved out but not out of the range of the post office.
Apologize again and I did learn a lot so I appreciate the imput.

Cheers, Bill
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27490 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This letter was sent and received in Coe Hill,

How do you figure that, please?

Valued Member
308 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   01:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's more likely to have traveled to Glen Alda, as it's addressed to there. Am sure it was always a small town with little volume of mail outside of cottage season.

If you are interested in another source for Admiral period postal history, please see

http://postalhistorycorner.blogspot...c-rates.html

This is a small thread from a website created by the late Andrew Liptak and now maintained by the Postal History Society of Canada. It's a wonderful resource.
Valued Member
155 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting town names ... decided to see where these were. In a fairly remote part of north central Ontario. Fairly close together (11 KM) as others have noted. I assume, because of the registered mail usage, that it would involve some legal/financial. Anyone look up who John Simpson might have been?

Valued Member
Canada
31 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canyoneer that's a good guess it did involve money.
Here's the letter that was in this envelope and a transcription.
Also I already know who John Simpson was as I have 40 years of mail that was delivered to him and his wife.
The letter was sent from his son Russel.

Cheers, Bill

Valued Member
Canada
31 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to try and explain why I've assumed some things.
I have hundreds of letters and other pieces of mail that was sent to this family dating between 1910 up to the early fifties.
Most of these letters were sent from two of John Simpson's sons who were on the battlefield and in the trenches of WWI. (One son never returned)
All of these letters were addressed to Glenn Alda and yet not one has a Glenn Alda cancel instead they all are canceled in Coe Hill.
I grew up in a community of 150 people where my Grandfather was the postmaster from late 1939 up to 1946.
I wasn't around at that time but I do know the postmaster from the late 50's and went with him on his route many times. People living in the village would pick their mail up at the general store/post office. The postmaster also had a rural route delivering mail to the ones living in the surrounding area. That made me think Glen Alda post office was merely a rural route run from Coe Hill.
Now the letters inside the covers can tell a story also. The postmaster for Glen Alda during this time period was Andrew Post and one of his sons Warren Post (who also died in WWI) was married to one of Frank Simpsons daughters Belle Simpson, sister of Russel Simpson.
There is a lot of family connections in this very rural area and remember they were still riding horses at this time with most roads being impassable by car most of the time.
I've studied researched and transcribed the contents of the letters sent from the trenches for the past fifteen years putting each into archival sleeves.
I've now moved unto the covers knowing nothing about stamps, covers or cancels.
I was trying to find out the postal significance or lack of on some covers that I found interesting without going into the contents of the letters as this is a stamp forum.
My apology if this post is off topic or improper for this forum, if so I ask a moderator to please remove.

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
155 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The letters from the trenches likely tell a brutal story. The transcribed letter above almost sounds like a challenge to a dual! Do you know if Russell Simpson's father ever paid the debt? Good stuff!
Valued Member
Canada
31 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just wanting to share pictures of this item as I don't think these receipts were really meant to be saved and it could possible be of interest to someone.
However I placed it in this thread because I saw It was postmarked in Glen Alda.
So Glen Alda did have a postal stamp why would it not be used on the Simpson's incoming mail, well over a hundred pieces?
Especially a registered piece like this one.

Canyoneer, It's not exactly stated that Russel got his money but his father did move back onto the farm shortly after this meeting. I like to think he did.

Cheers, Bill

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 13.54 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05