Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 10A Or 11 A? Worth Removing Stamp From Piece?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
854 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rgstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this in old album. Someone wrote '51

I assume they are suggesting it is a Scott 10a?
I am not good with color (although this stamp seems to have that richness I associate with Scott 10s). However, from what I remember 1851 would be too early for a Scott 11.
(However I don't necessarily believe the person who wrote '51)

Seems like a reasonable example if truly a 10a?. I have a more scarce Scott 10 already in my album and have been searching for a reasonable 10a to put alongside. Is it worthwhile soaking and removing from piece?

Now that I scanned it I'm a little worried about top right corner but I may not be able to tell there is damage until I remove it. Thanks for opinions

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has character, I'd leave it together. Nice cancel too.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2285 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not assume a Scott ID meant by a previous collector, but rather interpret the '51 as a stamp from the "issue of 51", and start the ID work from scratch with the current catalog numbers, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3715 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is an 11A.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2114 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   7:39 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a #10A and I honestly see no good reason to leave it on that grungy tidbit of a piece. It isn't much of a stamp though if you ask me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3715 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will stand by 11A Winston my friend. It would need to be plated to settle the matter.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
11A, I would say. Nice impression, but it doesn't appear to have the clarity of #10 prints, nor does it appear to have the combination of plate characteristics for any #10 plate. From the scan, that doesn't look like a #10 color.
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/27/2019 8:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2114 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   9:13 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would need to be plated to settle the matter.

While that may be a common refrain around here, the truth is that people that know the 3c stamp, rarely need to resort to plating a stamp to identify them. I am sorry Rog, mon ami, you are just wrong.

Quote:
it doesn't appear to have the clarity of #10 prints

The idea that all OB stamps have a superior impression is also a common misconception. If that were true, Plate 1 would not have to have been re-entered twice, Plate 2 re-entered once, and Plate 5 re-entered once. The truth is the OB plates did wear, perhaps faster than any other plates, and produced plenty of less-than-perfect impressions.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3715 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Winston - It would be educational if you could share your insight as to why this is a 10A. I am not an expert such as yourself but am always willing to learn. Thank you in advance my friend!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2114 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   9:40 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really can't provide much insight. I could definitely plate it and show you that it is a 10A or the alternative is to just tell you that it looks every bit like an OB stamp. A quick glance is all it takes to recognize the look once you know it. After you've seen thousands of them, you get really good at it.
Edited by sinclair2010 - 10/27/2019 9:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would tend to lean towards it being a 10A, as well, but I suspect there are enough plating characteristics to allow plating. The bottom frame line looks like is curls up slightly as it gets to the left end. Also, the space between inner and outer right framelines appears to get narrower near the bottom. If it were plated as a non-10A, it wouldn't surprise me too much, though.

ETA: I can see this as a decent looking 10A or a superiorly-impressed 11A that has gotten a bit of discoloration from the envelope paper. Someone should take the time to plate it for real 'proof'.

How's all that for a definite maybe??
Edited by mootermutt987 - 10/27/2019 10:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Soak it off. That paper is stained and ratty. You will be able to discern the color better if it is off the piece. I'm not yet an expert on this issue, though I have been playing with the colors of this issue and have handled hundreds of them. My 1st impression was that it is an OB.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
854 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for opinions. I will soak off and then re scan next to a bunch of 11s for comparison
Amazing how many different opinions
I consider myself advanced beginner level on 3c . May have to plunge into this more like the 1c.
I consider myself advanced on the 1c (not expert though like others on SCF) as I have plated 100 plus stamps and read the books/bible on it.
3c would be another journey.
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My impression of this thread so far:

1st guy: Is this 10a or 11a?
2nd guy: 11A. (no reason given)
chorus: Yeah, 11A!
3rd guy: 10A. (no reason given)
2nd guy: 11A. We could settle this by plating.
3rd guy: pfft! whatever!
2nd guy: Well, why, may I humbly ask, is it 10A?
3rd guy: I dunno, it just is. I know stuff.
chorus: Yeah, 10A!
1st guy: Riiight.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
854 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Winston (Sinclair) has saved my rear before ... I am quite aware of his expertise in this area
I still owe him scotch from 3 years ago when he warned me (correctly) not to bid on that B.S. certified Scott 8 in "rarities of the world auction" at Siegel . That opened my eyes to a lot of badness in this hobby unless you educate yourself
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1764 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Position 78R2E

10A orange brown
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05