Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Some Help Please - Ceres French Revenue Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United Kingdom
20 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bettie boo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been sorting my french and french colonies out and I've come across this pair I think they are french with I think the English queen but I'm not an expert so any light anyone can shed would be very grateful thank you
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
French revenue stamps, I think. That is not an English Queen.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4549 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   2:25 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Quittances" stamps from 1880-81, not listed in mainstream catalogues.
Pillar Of The Community
France
890 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not the English Queen,not a queen at all,but a goddess : Ceres (pictured too on first French postage stamps)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28163 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Get to know our lass, Ceres (Demeter)
She abounds on postage stamps.

Goddess of agriculture, fertility, grains, the harvest, motherhood, the earth, and cultivated crops

Her countenance remains the same over thousands of years, Philately continues it.
From a coin from Carthage

We have not shown due reverence to her, and she is rewarding us with climate change.....

Edited by rod222 - 10/28/2019 4:19 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28163 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sculpsit : Monsieur Oudine
Edited by rod222 - 10/28/2019 4:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
Posted 10/28/2019   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Our English word "cereal" meaning an edible grain, often eaten for breakfast, comes from the Latin word cerealis, meaning "pertaining to the cultivation of grain", and ultimately from the name of this goddess.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
20 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   03:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bettie boo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you I did not know that very interesting. Do the hold any value?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28163 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   04:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do the hold any value?

Hobby / Collecting value, yes indeed, (you..."very interesting" ...see !)
Monetary value, no.

Edited by rod222 - 10/29/2019 04:40 am
Learn More...
7584 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   04:56 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
***Title edited for additional clarity.***
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28163 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bravo! Don.
A good thread title, is good philately.....

Ms. Boo
Gris=Grey
Quittances = Receipts
Forbin Catalogue 1915 prices (See "StampSmarter on this forum)

Your stamps are 140 years old.
Edited by rod222 - 10/29/2019 05:11 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4549 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   06:51 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the current Yvert catalogue of fiscal etc stamps

https://www.yvert.com/A-193623-timb...ux-2016.aspx

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28163 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Geoff,
I'd like to get that one, presume in French only, any idea?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4549 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   10:14 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have an earlier b/w copy, whereas this is in colour. I presume that it's still in French only, but it's not too demanding!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4549 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   11:44 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, those Russian bootleggers ...
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28163 Posts
Posted 10/29/2019   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Recent commercial history
Since 2001 the apparition of the Dallay catalog has had a major effect on the French philatelist public by providing larger pictures of stamps and information not found in the Yvert et Tellier catalogs, such as the name of the artiste and/or engraver, first date of issue, use, etc. Yvert has been fighting on two fronts: it has successfully defended the rights to its numbering system, and it distributes a free CD-ROM with its French stamp catalog.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05