Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 596, Flat Plate Perf, Rotary Sheet Waste, Please Explain To Me Why Is Not.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
27 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Unique way to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been very cautious, about convincing myself I have two rare stamps. I study and study these stamps, and came to conclusion that the Characteristics are strikingly different. I have other Benjamin Franklin stamps but these two seems different. Need help, why is it nearly impossible to have these rare stamps. Here are three Genuine stamps, and mine is the bottom right.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Unique way - 10/30/2019 02:42 am

Learn More...
7716 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   02:53 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
I would suggest that you are approaching this from the wrong direction; the burden here is not for the community to prove that you do not have a rarity but rather you need to show that you have a rarity. But your post is a common one, we have many previous threads like this one. So one of our members wrote this article, http://stampsmarter.com/learning/ID...arities.html . Please note the Appendix 1 - Do I have a 594 or 596? A Collector's Guide to Identification.
Don

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   05:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Unique way to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay thank you
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what I do when Id'ing look-alike stamps. . .just ignore that the rarities exist at all. . .I don't even consider that I might have a rarity. 99%+ of the time, I can ID a stamp as a normal stamp without much trouble. I use a perf gauge, a watermark detector and use a decent reference. . .the Scott catalog or the Micharelli Guide. I'm not in the habit of using the stampsmarter link Don posted because I didn't know about it (or it didn't exist) until after I started IDing stamps. . .the 1% of time I think I might have something special, every single time, it has turned out to be a fraud except one. . .I found a valuable coil pair (not a rarity, but a scarce 388 pair). Try IDing your stamp without considering that it might be a rarity and see how that goes.
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Unique way to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, just going to get them expertise. I'll will know soon. At least I will know, #128514;
Pillar Of The Community
2467 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Expertising will "give you the answer" of a catalog number but will not provide any explanation to educate you on any of the finer points they saw. Expertising won't educate you and you will still have the same questions when you find another stamp which looks like this.

Beyond reading through the links provided, I would still recommend posting a hi-resolution scan (against black background) of the front AND the back of your stamp and we will be able to point out the features which make it a particular catalog number - whether good or bad - to provide the education!
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Unique way to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that's true I'm thinking #129300; I done hours of studying. But who knows, I'm new to this. I don't have the stamp now. But I will post the final result as soon as I get it. Good or bad.
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Unique way, if you are buying this stamp, please don't do so on the supposition that it may be a #596. As others have noted in this and other threads, and as the stampsmarter analysis demonstrates, the odds of coming across a #596 are extremely long. Good luck!
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Unique way to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! but miracles do happen #129310;
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Unique way to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No it's mine, from a very old stamp collection
Pillar Of The Community
2467 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unique way, I have to ask. What do the 6-digit numbers mean at the end of several of your sentences? They fail to communicate anything to me.

Also, Am I correct in reading between the lines that you have already sent your stamp off to an expertising service?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3888 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
UW. you are approaching this in an entirely incorrect way. The certing is ridiculous. However, if you must cert please show the results so all can see the futility of random action.
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Unique way to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes John I have sent them. Those numbers was supposed to Emoji's., lol
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Unique way to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will do redwoodrandy
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Miracles do not happen. You wasted money on a cert. Why did you even post here if you already decided what to do? I think we should insta-delete any post that mentions 594 or 596. They are always exactly the same. But somehow, I can't just ignore them.

I will bet $100 to anyone that Unique Way will not post a cert here within three months. None of the 596-drive-bys ever do. Who wants action?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4030 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is strange. A poster comes here and asks about a stamp, gets answers and then declares that they are going to get it expertized no matter what. Why the exercise? What is the point?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05