Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Apollo 1 Fire Cover Very Scarce

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,031Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ham and Egger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This cover was designed and produced (roughly 40 covers)by KSC but never officially released. Several examples produced by local communities outside of Kennedy Space Center not bearing this Official Cahet where also issued , many back dated. Lots of speculation on that subject. Enjoy
Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know about back-dated ... howzabout back-cacheted ???

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4352 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Ikey, cachets can easily be added later, and this cover it is very unlikely to be backdated.

Consider paragraph 42.10(b) from the 1948 edition of the "Postal Laws and Regulations", (the last compiled volume in a convenient book format), which can get you fired for willful misdating of mail matter:

I am sure a similar dating regulation was still in effect in 1967. There is no doubt in my mind that the date in the machine cancel is the day is was canceled
Edited by John Becker - 10/30/2019 11:36 am
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was not referring to this cover as being back dated . This is a genuine cover. This was obtain from Nasa Mail and Reports Management Section headed by F.J.Rhodes, also a member of the KSC Philatelic society as was my Farther. I am referring to the Cape Canaveral Canceled varieties and other local issues surrounding the Space Center area. Many articles have been written on this subject.
Pillar Of The Community
4352 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If other postal facilities backdated covers, then the clerks risked their jobs. It could have happened. Each place would nave its own story.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Lots of speculation on that subject. ...

My apologies to you, collector F.J.Rhodes, and your dad.

In fairness to me, I was led astray by the terse concluding sentence with its broad pronoun "that".

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1428 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never heard of Kennedy Space Center producing "official" philatelic souvenirs. They were usually created by the Titusville Moonport Stamp Club, and deposited with the KSC mail office for cancellation.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1428 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know KSC had a philatelic society back then. No such thing now unfortunately.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1941 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was called Cape Canaveral until 11/29/63 when LBJ renamed it to KSC.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 10/30/2019   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
If memory serves, the KSC name now refers to only the actual space facility, and the balance of the land has reverted from Cape Kennedy to Cape Canaveral.

If only the same could be said of the New Tappan Zee Bridge <sigh> ...

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to see such interest in such a subject after 52 years. Just wanted to spark discussion on key philatelic material from a period in the space program which was very exciting. I will continue to post ( after collaboration with fellow second gen collectors) to post examples of what I consider the top 10 KSC officials.
more to come.

Ham and Egger
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 11/02/2019   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In reply to the difference between Cape Canaveral AFB and Kennedy Space Center. The Cape Canaveral area is divided into two facilities which border one another along the east central Florida coast line. Canaveral AFB to the south was the epicenter for all early manned NASA missions. Apollo 7 was the first and last Apollo mission to launch from there also sadly the Apollo 1 event took place there also. Several books on the areas history cover this in detail.To the north and west a large area of land was being trans formed in to the Kennedy Space Center in order to support the Apollo Launch vehicle and missions plus every NASA manned program to date. For a short period of time Cape Canaveral it self was renamed Cape Kennedy but latter change back to Canaveral once the Kennedy Space Center came on line. The Kennedy Space Center is a small city within its self, having it own system of roads ,bridges,rail and support facilities for its workers. These include fire rescue stations, medical,food service,gas stations,gift shops,its own internal mailing system and of course a Postal facility located within the Head Quarters Building.Now the KSC Philatelic Society was a group of individuals who worked at the space center or the neighboring CC AFB which was comprised of Nasa employees and sub contractors alike who held there meeting within the facility. If you had no badge to get in then you where not a member. Several groups out side the gate such as the Moon Port Club where formed to fill the vacuum so to speak for these individuals.Now to the KSC Officials or Cachets if you like. This series of covers where completely controlled by NASA's Mail and Reports Management Section. A Support directorate with in the post office at KSC was formed to specifically handle these items as far as design input, printing and distribution with in tight guideline and channels established by the Washington based NASA group ( there boss so to speak). Hope this helps.
Pillar Of The Community
1124 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that the date on this cover is most likely the date it was processed, but I might point out that there does not seem to be much compliance with this particular postal regulation by the Post Office when it comes to their processing First Day Covers. I also agree that "back dating" privately made cachets on event covers (and First Day Covers) seems to be entirely up to the guy who is making it and there are no regulations of any kind on that kind of philatelic shenanigans.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,031Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05