Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found A #557c Help To Identify?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
5 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dec to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! Im new in the forum. I need some help about this stamp.
I fount this stamp in a lot. It seems perf 10 at bottom.
Maybe its a 557c?

Thanks for any help.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6569 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dec, and welcome to the forum. How did you arrive the perf 10 bottom ?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 10/31/2019 8:15 pm
Valued Member
5 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dec to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter! I measured it by perforation gauge and stamp analyzer software. Shows perf 11 at left top and right side, 10 at bottom.
Valued Member
5 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dec to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know well the US stamps. Just try to find where I can get more informations about it.
Edited by Dec - 10/31/2019 9:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1024 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perfs do appear to be 11x11x10x11. If you think the perfs are genuine, it is worth spending for a cert, even though the odds are still likely a bit long. Which, if the stamp is a genuine 557c, won't be cheap.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3284 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like your chances. Good luck!
Valued Member
5 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dec to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just dont know how could I know the perforations is genuine or not.
I made a higher resolution scan. Which is the best place to cert a US stamp? I live in Europe so I dont know any US stamp experts. Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6182 Posts
Posted 10/31/2019   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1266 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   01:04 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no point in sending the stamp to the PF, APS, PSE or PSAG until the bottom perforations are matched with flat plate and rotary perf 10. If either match, the perforations are unlikely to receive a clean cert. The perforation row in the closeup appears too regular to be genuine. The perf 10 pins added to the perf 11 row are believed to have been manually spaced over a span of about three stamps to fix a section of a defective perforation wheel. The perf 10 pins are not aligned with the perf 11 row and spacing and placement is noticeably irregular.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fatherkinds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you mean , not genuine in other words,forged, or copy, of some sort please elaborate.. I have some similar on the lower end of the perf 10 s top or bottom ,also in regards to cost of certs I thought the general number for a genuine 557 c ranging in the cats at under 10 last I checked would estimate to be of the .01 -10,000 $33.00 ref. Pf society for the evaluation and cert. ? Can you be specific on cost factors. And by the looks of what I see does seem to fit the 10 perf top or bottom counting the whole preferations in a 2cm scale. Thank you for the pic and question.

*** Edited by Staff to remove YELLING. All capital letters is the internet version of yelling. Please don't do it in titles or posts. ***
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1326 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   05:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The perf 10 error has irregular perforation holes, as cfrphoto wrote above, so the hint to check the stamp to another (normal) perf 10 stamp is good, as they have regular (equally spaced) holes. If you have further questions about the fees I am sure the PF can give the best answers.
Valued Member
5 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dec to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked with a regular stamp. The perf seems regular to me.
Too good to be true. Than I think its dont wort to send to certify.
Thanks for all help
Edited by Dec - 11/01/2019 09:57 am
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send it for a cert to the Philatelic Foundation. On something like this, no matter how you check it, you will never really know unless you send it in. This is definitely worth the $50 it is going to cost you to ship the stamp and pay the certification fee.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just looked at the Siegel census of 557c and there certainly seem to be stamps with bottom perforations that are no more irregular than yours. I think the irregularity is in the holes themselves not the spacing. And lastly if not a 557c, what is it?

https://siegelauctions.com/display_...s.php?id=209
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1024 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What Phil says is likely true. If the stamp is not genuine (very likely), you would probably be out around $50. On the other hand, if it were genuine, the cost would be a little over $500. But in that event you could undoubtedly sell the stamp for a bit more than the cert cost. If it were my money, the final choice would lie with cfrphoto's post. Since he sees little chance of it being genuine, I would save my $50. After all, he may very well have certified one of these himself at some point in the past.
But that's just me, the tightwad, speaking.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
168 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the other 557c's at Siegel, I'd say there is a better than even chance the stamp is a genuine 557c. If it were mine, I'd send it for a cert. Good luck, @Dec! Please let us know what happens.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05