Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found A #557c Help To Identify?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,176Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1414 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   2:07 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the irregularity is in the holes themselves not the spacing.

No, spacing is somewhat irregular. Partially punched perforations are sometimes seen but are not definitive.

Looking at the comparison view, the second and third perf tips from the left are uneven with an unexplained piece missing from the tip of the third perf, possibility part of an original perf hole that survived alteration.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by cfrphoto - 11/01/2019 2:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the bottom perfs look suspect. Having said that, having seen genuine, certed, perf 10's on one side, they also look odd to me, often. On the stamp in question, it appears that the holes were created with some kind of uneven pressure (for lack of a better way to explain) around each perf hole. The left-most hole doesn't appear to be in line with the rest of the bottom holes. Neither of these absolutely disqualify your stamp, though.

You will never be able to sell this as a 557c without a cert. If it is, it is worth many $1,000's. If it isn't, it is worth pennies. Do you want to roll the dice, with $50-ish on the table?? Only you know that. If it were me, with THIS stamp, there are days when I would, and there are days when I wouldn't bother. In the end, I guess it would get sent in for a certificate, only because it only takes one day when I would roll the dice, even if there is a month of the other days.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,176Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05