Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

HipStamp Investments Email

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,022Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Received the following email this AM:

"I have some very exciting news I would like to share with you!

We're ready to make a big announcement at HipStamp, but before we do, as one of our top buyers, I wanted to provide you with exclusive early access to a new and exciting opportunity that we're offering...

Introducing: HipStamp Investments - a new way to invest for Stamp Collectors! With HipStamp Investments, you can own SEC-qualified fractional shares in the world's most recognizable and valuable stamps, starting with our first offering of a beautiful and exceptional US #C3a Inverted Jenny (position 27) for $100 a share.

Why did I start HipStamp Investments, and how does it work?

I've spent the past few decades working in the philatelic world, including my time as an executive at Stanley Gibbons, and there's one thing I have always thought about, but never had an answer to...

In the last 10 years, Mint stamps priced $25-50 have decreased in value by 6% on average, whereas Mint stamps priced $50K-$100K increased 45% in value during the same period; and when you look at rarities over $100K, such as the Inverted Jenny, the returns are even more significant. However, there has never been a way for stamp collectors, except for the ultra-wealthy, to participate in this market, and see these types of returns on their investments. That is until now.

Recent changes to SEC regulations have made it possible to offer SEC-qualified fractional shares in tangible assets, which has allowed us to launch HipStamp Investments - the very first company, ever, to offer fractional shares in collectible stamps. To learn more, and to take advantage of your early access to reserve shares, while they're still available, visit HipStamp Investments now.

Any questions? Let me know!

Mark Rosenberg
CEO HipStamp | Hip eCommerce
"
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
224 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got this email too. If you buy shares, are they voting shares?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
693 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting concept. I would imagine that voting shares would be restricted to only a tiny fraction —the heaviest investors
Valued Member
224 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I was trying to make a joke with my question about voting shares. Sigh!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2463 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a fund for speculation only - i.e. not for risk averse investors.

One immediate question comes to mind, which is, how do you know what you are really buying?

When I buy a stock mutual fund, I can look at the prospectus and see what the distribution and relative weight of each stock is.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
467 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"We're professional philatelists. Trust us."
Learn More...
9925 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   2:55 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Recent changes to SEC regulations have made...

'Recent' must mean several years ago. And as txstamp mentions, you are putting your trust into the stamps they pick. A lot depends on how they have this fund setup and how much flexibility they allow fractional shareholders to have. When you decide to bail, how long does it takes to actually get out? If you own a fractional share of a #C3a and decide to sell, how do they determine value? Last auction result? if so, how do they determine condition vs. last auction result? Fractional shares in something like Bitcoin or some big pharma stocks do not have dependencies upon 'condition'.

And speaking from experience, nothing sucks worse then holding something that you can see is tanking and not being able to execute the change you want fast enough. (I once lost 5 figures when I found out there was a 7 day delay in me requesting the change and the actual execution.)

Also note that it would also be against SEC rules if Mark or others were found to own shares and were found to be influencing the market. I am unsure how the SEC would react if someone bought into a fractional stamp account but was also a big player in buying the same level stamps. (As someone who once had the SEC in my shorts I can tell you that this is costly even if they find no wrong-doing.) The SEC will watch anything that may be perceived as influencing the market values (i.e. like advertising or promotion of the stamps inside the fund).

I am concerned that the marketing might be attractive to those without a lot experience in this kind of investment. If anyone is thinking about this make sure that you first read the fine print very carefully. If you still like what you see then turn it over to a financial legal beagle or trusted fund manager to analyze the details and provide feedback.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6540 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The spectre of Afinsa still lurks here.
Learn More...
9925 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   3:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The spectre of Afinsa still lurks here.

Great point.

Why would Hipstamp be playing around with this kind of venture? There is additional cost and risk involved with establishing this kind of venture. Is the belief in the original HipStamp mission weak enough that this kind of venture is attractive to the owner(s)?

If I were a stamp dealer who was now using HipStamp and/or thinking about moving from eBay to HipStamp, this would give me pause. I would want to better understand the potential impact this new venture will have on HipStamp. Every dollar and every minute spent on this new venture is a dollar and minute not spent on legacy operational efforts.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3205 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gibbons a few years ago started something similar (with tangible ownership of the entire stamp though)
and it has been more or less of a flop. What about PONZI lurking around the corner !
https://sggi.davidfeldman.com/
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1236 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will stay with the stock and money markets and use any small winnings to buy my own stamps. May not be worth nearly as much, but at least the tangable asset will be at my address in my collection.

It also will not be prone to deceit, investigations, lien claims, forfeiture, seizure, or total loss. As well as the probable aggravation of having others in control of your assets.

Edit: add words "stock and money"
Edited by No1philatelist - 11/01/2019 4:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It strikes me as more of a novelty than anything. People buy shares in race horses. Somebody can say, with a slight smile, that they "own" a C3a.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
810 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got this e-mail, too, and deleted it before I even opened it. Well, I THINK this is what I got before I deleted it.

I collect for the love of it. I DO buy with an eye on the fact that my collection will be liquidated someday. Still, I want my stamps to be MINE. Read: 100% mine, and in my possession. I MIGHT (although I never have) go halvesies with a buddy. Let's just say that I trust me more than anyone else.

As for any investment manager, I would like to know what kind of 'administrative' fees are part of this. Is Mr. Rosenberg willing to do this service for free? Or, is he willing to make (as a co-investor) exactly as much as someone else who isn't putting in the work to keep this 'fund' going? I don't see that issue addressed one way or the other. I wonder if it is discussed if one responds positively to his e-mail.

I am a skeptic at heart. Rather than smelling roses, I think I smell the fertilizer.

I would LOVE to hear from someone with a different POV. Someone willing to jump in. What was the experience? Any surprises? Like what? Did it work out anywhere near as well as he wrote about? How smooth was getting in? How smooth was getting out? Overall happy??? Anyone that does jump in, I truly hope it works out well. Any segment of the stamp world doing well, is probably good for all of us.
Learn More...
9925 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   5:03 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It strikes me as more of a novelty than anything. People buy shares in race horses. Somebody can say, with a slight smile, that they "own" a C3a.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea... it will go well with also thinking that I am 1024th Native American.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
702 Posts
Posted 11/01/2019   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't that similar to what SG was doing with their investment portfolios?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,022Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05