Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

No Stamp - Not Wanted

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 888Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
258 Posts
Posted 11/02/2019   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Penguins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This cover gave us a smile.
Sent from Beverley to Hull it was addressed to the Official Receiver
but it was refused.

As there was no postage stamp on the envelope the receiver would not take it,
so marked it in red ink on the front and on the reverse it was marked Refused and with (presumably)
the initials and 'round' number of the postman.

Ron

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6514 Posts
Posted 11/02/2019   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Little late (1895) for a stampless cover I suppose. Is the 2d 67 hand stamp a postage due mark?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/02/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi James,

Quote:
Is the 2d 67 hand stamp a postage due mark?

Calculated guess:
It appears to comply with.......
Chapter 17
"Charge, Instructional, and Explanatory Marks"

Type #410
Pence Marks, unframed, from 1870
d up to 5d

So yes, 2d charge due (postage due)

The 67 according to Ron, is the round number (route number) of the letter carrier.

UPDATE

Type 411 ....Pence marks with office numbers or, London District Inititials, unframed from the 1870's

Thanks James for the question...learned something today......

I guess we can conclude, that 67 is the office number of Beverley..........

So yes postal charge 2d, (postage due)
Source: collect british postmarks, Dr. J.T. Whitney 1983
Edited by rod222 - 11/02/2019 9:21 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/02/2019   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing Find!

The duplex on Ron's cover (Beverley Yorkshire) is unlisted in the largest British Postmark Database

Time Code on Duplex CDS = F*A = cancelled 6AM

Beverley is indeed Duplex 67
Ron needs to contact the webmaster, Allan Oliver, and add the postmark to his database............

Edited by rod222 - 11/02/2019 9:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
984 Posts
Posted 11/02/2019   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting stuff. Rod, if f= 6th hour, what time does IF or 1F in the other cancel indicate? Thanks.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/02/2019   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting stuff. Rod, if f= 6th hour, what time does IF or 1F in the other cancel indicate? Thanks.

Goodness, missed that one No1,

1:30AM What is someone doing working at that hour?

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/02/2019   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another amazing find, the HULL (Timecoded CDS) unlisted in the database.
The only HULL time coded, is a "Squared Circle" postmark.
Edited by rod222 - 11/02/2019 11:39 pm
Valued Member
Australia
258 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good gracious,
I only put this up because the receiver refused to receive it.
Now I must study these replies and learn something.
Thanks to all.
Ron
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
984 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, thank you very much for that information. It continues to ammaze me the wealth and fountain of information that is available on this site from everyone. And Penguins, a nice very nice cover with excellent strikes too.
Valued Member
Australia
258 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,
Eunice and I start our collections from 1660 pre-stamp up to 1840's for postmarks and letters.

We then jump to KEVIII stamps mint, KGVI and QE2.

So the period of this cover is not an area we are familiar with.
Unfortunately we have no idea what you are referring to when you mention Allan Oliver and the British Postmark Database.

We have already learned some stuff from the replies received but can you point me in the direction of the data-base.

Considering that this item was put on the thread simply for a wry grin, it is amazing that there are two marks on it which are missing from the database
and which may be of some help to others.

Thanks for all the help on this and now we will have to write it up and give it a page somewhere.
It makes us wonder what else may be lurking in those boxes in the cupboard!

Regards
Ron
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Ron and Eunice,
I have been a BIG fan of Eunice, (and no doubt you in the background)
with the Journals you have written for Australian Stamp Monthly is it?

Just love that work. Inspirational.
I am hugely surprised you have not become aware of Allan's work

So here it is, Allan's email is at the bottom
(albeit a few emails I have sent, have not been replied to)
I believe Alan had some health issues there for a while, hence not able to update the database.
Please pass on my regards, if you do make contact.
He must be a very busy lad.

http://philatelicweb.com/pmks/

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TIP : Searching the database takes time before you get comfortable.

If you search BEVERLEY, just click on the cameras, to get an idea of the type of postmark.

Then say you search LONDON, all the postmarks are listed alphabetically and numerally, down the HUGE list

So if a LONDON has a duplex Pmk of say 36, then you scroll down to LONDON 36 etc & etc.

Happy hunting.

PS: The 2d post, "receiving house" postmarks are NOT listed (sadly)

Edited by rod222 - 11/04/2019 10:17 am
Valued Member
Australia
258 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,
Thanks for the kind comments and we are pleased that you enjoyed the contributions by Eunice in Stamp News. We have both written heaps of articles far various publications but the main interest of Postal History, as you know, is carried on with our website.
Haven't written for years now (various reasons) but still maintain the interest.

Thanks for the link to the data base and I clicked on it to make sure it worked for us and it does. We will need a bit of time to get accustomed to it
Thanks also for the search tips, much appreciated.

We will certainly pass on your regards if we make contact with him.

Thanks again and regards.
Ron and Eunice.
Valued Member
Australia
258 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   05:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

I know you have been a fan of Eunice's for years and she has always appreciated your feedback.

Regarding the two postmarks you advise are not on the data base, I have e-mailed Allan with scans of them. I have not heard anything from him and I note that there seem to have been no updates for a while.
I did mention that you asked me to pass on your regards and to hope that he was OK.

Thanks for all the help with the cover.
Regards.
Ron.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Ron.
Apparently Allan is adding >100 new postmarks a week,
I cannot image how busy that would be.
Thank you for contributing.
Best wishes.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 888Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05