Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Assumed To Be A Scott 11

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
12 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps just posted are on 2 different covers, therefore different stamps. I will try to get the original stamps I pictured and get them posted for further review.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
34 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since I am new to the classics and this 1851 3 cent issue, I have been visiting this web site on plating it to learn more. It is probably old hat to the experts here, but here it is for reference:

http://stampplating.com

It is sponsored by the U.S. Philatelic Classics Society.
Edited by mestephil - 11/07/2019 4:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1743 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your lower left corner copy stamp I believe is 91L6, a #11.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
12 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the 11 a in my earlier post.

I hope it meets the size criteria.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
12 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the other stamp in my first post.

I appreciate any further input.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2094 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   6:53 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp on the Port Huron cover might be/probably is a #10A, if there is information inside of the folded letter, that would be very useful information as well.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
12 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I believe with the Port Huron Letter dated Oct. 19, 1851 that makes it certain the stamp is a number 10. Was it possible that 11's were in use at that time?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2094 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   8:30 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plate 1L was put into service in Oct '51 and produced 11A's. They are sought after because many are printed in what is called experimental orange brown. They are relatively scarce and can be pricey. They don't look much like the real orange brown stamps and the Plate 1L stamps are quite distinctive anyway due to the way they were recut.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
34 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All - I wanted to come back and conclude what I learned from my original posting - and thank Winston for his help. I have learned a lot from the exercise.

The stamp I originally posted looks to be a 10A 57R1E from using the plating site as a guide:

My rationale being the following:

- It looks like a relief A (large border gap at bottom of portrait)
- Lower left borders don't quite meet up
- The partial recut on the left side as Winston originally pointed out.

But I also looked at one other thing - my original scan accidentally left off a bit of the left edge where a tiny bit of the stamp to the left is shown, and its right border line runs over a bit. So I looked at the color sample of the 56R1E on the plating site and it shows a similar characteristic.

Ironically, I removed the stamp from the album and rescanned the back as well:

Turns out that is Dr. Chase's notation on the back and states the same conclusion. I have had the stamp for well over 40 years and guessing I bought it out of an APS circuit book in the 70s. At that time I certainly had no understanding of the notation and over forty years, did not remember any marking on the back.

All in all, I think I am getting hooked on the classics and learning about plating. Grateful to have found this fantastic forum.

Thanks all,

Ken
Edited by mestephil - 11/11/2019 7:58 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05