Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Internet Philatelic Dealers Association

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,040Next Topic  
SCF Advertiser

Philippines
90 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cddstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Perhaps of interest to you if you are a dealer. Join and support what we stand for - being a dealer on the internet that collectors can trust because you are an accredited IPDA dealer. Visit us at ipdastamps.com and read About Us and Our Services and then look at the easy Apply to Join form.

As a stamp collector, please consider that when you buy on the internet - and lets be honest the internet is where the selling of stamps is mostly happening these days - you are aware of who you are buying from, and an IPDA member dealer is one good place to start.

If you would like a free copy of our latest (November) Monthly Newsletter, please email *** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc. ***. Perhaps give you another flavour of who we all are.

Enjoy your philately Michael - IPDA General Secretary

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5307 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   07:54 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies if I ruffle feathers, but I have to ask:

Outside of a few posts on this forum over the years asking people to join, what does this organization actually do? I've never seen any reference to it anywhere else. It appears to be a well-intentioned club for like-minded individuals... that doesn't really do anything other than collect dues and produce a newsletter.

The website says the organization has existed since 2002, yet as of 2018 didn't even have 100 members. I can't tell for certain, because the member list page on the website is broken and says there are 0 members.

Given the very broad definition of "dealer" that qualifies for membership (any collector selling their duplicates on eBay or Hipstamp would qualify), there appears to be longstanding difficulty in gaining traction. If no one has ever heard of the IPDA, does "being a dealer on the internet that collectors can trust because you are an accredited IPDA dealer" really mean anything? It's a laudable goal but doesn't actually seem to be the case.

Sell me. Why would I actually want to be a member?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
SCF Advertiser
Philippines
90 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cddstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. Thank you for response. Happy to have you ask and yes relevant questions. Spot on in all cases in fact. To start with every now and again we try to do a recruitment. So we do not do it week in week out month in month out. So you may not have heard of us. Actually that might tell me you are not across a wider breadth of the philatelic scene re clubs and associations you might not have been reading various magazines, or catalogues or web site where we have an advertisement. we are small and advertise quite small I agree but small steps even for an association going for some years. Sadly as in any Association or stamp group it is difficult at times to get traction. we have survived. perhaps that is recognition. Our membership is 134 we peaked early this year around 150. lost a few for non renewal and a few due some issues / difference of opinion. nothing to hide if I am open with you. and slowly - yes very slowly we are growing again. We want to offer more and will as we get more participation. But getting volunteers is hard. people say too busy, too busy. That is the story of every Association or group I know of.

As for web site, sadly we hit a technical problem just around 6 hours ago. I did not know it when I posted the message. we already have action taken to do a security check on the site.

lets be honest here,in this internet age anyone with a computer and a stamp and scanner ( ok a camera ) can load a stamp to a stamp portal and be a stamp seller,. we do not expect those people to apply and the chances are, being polite and respectful to them, they will not qualify for membership. Applications are reviewed by the Committee and have to be approved considering the code of ethic and qualification criteria we have, Yes you can read it that any person selling duplicates might apply but I think we will recognise that and as I say respect to them in this internet entrepreneurial age. and of course We also want to encourage and help new serious dealers develop.

we want to strengthen the quality for dealers selling on the internet by having then join the IPDA and by having collectors recognise there are dealers of merit selling on the internet because they are a member of the IPDA. Simple really. look at the number of sellers on a certain philatelic portal. Brilliant model. No doubt about it but how many sellers really have a clue about stamps. You look for yourself and you tell me how many are listing absolute rubbish, damaged, wrongly or poorly described re condition, priced wrongly yes that maybe subjective I agree but think it through before, jumping in one direction on that point, not showing good images, not showing images of the reverse of a stamp that deserves the reverse to be shown. charging for each extra stamp shipped in an order. really is 49c for each extra stamp a fair pricing mechanism. ok it maybe but again think it through first... I could go on but I expect, I think, you might see the reality. Hey! good for the entrepreneurial spirit but how right it is that collectors who might not be very knowledgeable are buying such material because it seems cheap perhaps? and then in time realise they have nothing but worthless items in their collection. There is no easy answer but one way is for a dealer to be an IPDA Member.

I have a lot more to say but I think that addresses most of your points.

I thank you for giving me the opportunity to spell out a few views. Perhaps you qualify? Only you will know that and apply or not accordingly, and only you will know if you want to contribute to what we are trying to do for this wonderful hobby.

In closing my apology for showing a contact in my original post . done by bad habit. sorry

I am sure revenuecollector if you want to contact me on a one to one you can find a way
Have a good weekend

Learn More...
9902 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   09:33 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi cdd,
Since you raised the topic of 'dealer qualification'...
I see one of your members (last time I looked) sells mostly modern 'error' stamps which are not recognized by any catalog publishers and the legitimacy is questioned by the hobby. This person has previously promoted them as 'good investments' in this community (and other online forums). I know this dealer is sitting on large stacks of these modern 'error' stamps and as far as I know this is the only thing he sells.

I support anyone collecting anything they desire. In the same way I support anyone selling whatever they want at whatever price they want to ask. For me, the question of ethics enters in the marketing. At what point does marketing cross the line where it starts damaging the hobby.

Does the IPDA consider the way its member dealers market their material?
Don
SCF Advertiser
Philippines
90 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cddstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Don and thank you for that constructive comment. Without knowing more detail I have nothing to respond to other than to say the IPDA does not support the type of selling that you referred to. We certainly do not condone it and have taken steps this past year to change things in the IPDA.

So in short yes we do consider the way dealers sell and market their stamps. I wish I could be more specific and do a check on the reference you made and be seen to be more proactive to your valid comment.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
532 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good evening,

Lets see:

APS #173697-25 YEAR member-pay dues/get a news letter and a magazine.
ISWSC,ORG-#2966--member-pay dues/get a news letter
Sacramento Philatelic Society-#2113-member=pay dues/get a news letter
IPDASTAMPS #251--member-pay dues/get a news letter-
Stamp Community Forum-supporting monthly member for over one year.

And why am I am member of these clubs? To keep the hobby going, to learn something about stamps and to share knowledge and mainly to enjoy my hobby=STAMPS.

Is it a perfect system? No. The website, IPDASTAMPS, was having issues when you 'checked' on it. Was all the info available when you 'checked' IPDASTAMPS, no.

In closing, No matter how many clubs your a member of or join into it's always important to remember, GIVE IT A TRY!

Does the IPDA charge $200.00 a year to join? Do you get a fancy little label to put in the description of your listings on eBay.

No, you don't, but what you do get is fellow stamp collectors sharing knowledge about stamps. A group of sellers that are dealers in stamps.

I wish all the luck in sales of your stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5307 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   8:29 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why so defensive?

The questions I asked were legitimate ones. You yourself are describing IPDA as a club rather than a professional dealer organization, which was one of the issues I was trying to get at.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33550 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
I have to agree, as I read both the initial post, and "revenuecollector" question, I thought both were polite, respectful, and informative.
I did not sense any animosity.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
532 Posts
Posted 11/03/2019   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Wow-thanks for clearing that up for me-gee-

No, you don't, but what you do get is fellow stamp collectors sharing knowledge about stamps. A group of sellers that are dealers in stamps.

Good night

Edited by 91stang - 11/03/2019 8:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3202 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The success of any group like this is building a reputation that would encourage dealers to join or solving specific dealer business challenges.

Al
Learn More...
9902 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   12:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The success of any group like this is building a reputation that would encourage dealers to join or solving specific dealer business challenges.

Agreed with an added qualifier 'long-term success'.

But restricting membership or bouncing out members for ethical violations is not financially healthy short-term. Because many organizations have elected officers with short terms of office, the incentive can be 'membership growth' at all costs. And even if it is not 'at all costs', the performance of an organization's officers is typically measured by membership growth or decline.
Don
SCF Advertiser
Philippines
90 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cddstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Gentlemen, some good points raised. Thank you for sharing them

I thought it might be useful to make a some comments as well since I started this.

I do agree with the observation regarding building reputation / solving specific dealers challenges. We need to understand these though, and one way to find them out has been way to conducted member surveys to try to get a handle on what exactly we can do in these area, remembering we are all internet dealers. We have been fortunate with responses in some respects and we have taken action on the feedback we got from dealer members. However if participation in a survey or more practically on a month to month basis is low, or none existent and members do not tell us how we can delivery value to them it becomes a real challenge after a while to keep thinking, among a small committee, what else can we do for members. If only we had the luxury of greater member participation. I think from all I read this is a theme seen in so many Philatelic Associations/ Societies / groups, call then what you will. Recently I read why the Great American Stamp Show was formed. lack of participation at the individual show level in short.... so combine and repackage. Great idea.

second example - I had an email from a respected society I am a member of not that long ago asking for a volunteer for a role - no volunteer and they were closing down. Fortunately someone stepped up. This is not a one off examle I could quote.

Regarding performance of officers. interesting thought. we do not measure that as such in a "formal way: meaning through some quantifiable measurement plan. Our Committee is made up of volunteers. Some can devote maybe an hour a week, some more, some maybe even less at times. Actually if there is any "performance measurement" it is done by the members when they vote for reelection of committee members at the AGM. Our Committee members serve a two year term - so we are not in the role for any long term reward I think it would be fair to say. We are in the roles because we volunteered because we believe in the Association and the importance of it in the philatelic community in this day and age.

Let me make one more point. There has been, here and elsewhere, commentary about the fact the IPDA has been around since 2002 and "why has not much happened" or some such sentiment. All of the above is the answer. and in one word "Participation"

Over the past two years things have changed a lot. New website (currently with a technical problem in one area as was pointed - such is life I am sadly reminded) some changes in Committee to make things happen, and, in the philatelic community a greater than ever need for an Association that is focused on the internet and what is happening on the internet. The internet has offered and delivered so much opportunity for philately around the world, but not without its issues and challenges. we focus on them as best we can when we hear of them from members,

Finally, for those readers who watch the philatelic scene through the APS window you will see one more initiative of the IPDA - our promotion there (we are an APS Affiliate) and actually social media channels.

I will close by apologising for my verbosity - I know, I cannot shut up can I :-)

Best wishes have a great day. Michael IPDA General secretary.
Learn More...
9902 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   5:48 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael,
I respect the effort and intent of IPDA; any attempts to address ethical oversight that assists our hobby is welcomed by me. The ASDA come to mind as another organization which does similar oversight but I like the online focus that IPDA represents. That said, I think that oversight across multiple jurisdictions, venues, and languages is an incredibly difficult thing for a full time staff; attempting this with volunteers and limited resources is a Herculean task.

If there is anything I can do (I am not a dealer, simply a hobbyist) please let me know. Does the IPDA have any plans in offering a 'hobbyist level membership' so people like myself who might want to support the organization but are not full or part-time dealers?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1997 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I joined the IPDA initially in around 2008. I resigned a few years later. I'm now a Director, totally confident that the IPDA has changed for the better, is progressive, and fills a gap in the dealer community. I proudly include the IPDA logo in all of my eBay listings.

The vetting procedure for new applicants is thorough, and violations of the code of ethics are dealt with promptly when identified.

The membership includes dealers all over the globe, including major auction houses and dealers that are also members of the world's major industry bodies. Unlike the APS, APTA, ASDA, PTS etc, the focus is truly global, and wholly online.

Edited by jubilee - 11/04/2019 6:13 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,040Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05