Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Those Who Have A Thing For Match & Medicines Should See This

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
kbt check out the two pairs of rouletted stamps being offered. note the spacing and shape of the separations. blow them up if you need to then look/compare them with the singles. experience and examination of real items is required in this area. the roulette gauge was such that by removing every other perf they could be faked.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
38 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kbt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks m and m, I think I see it now. I put the enlarged images of the single next to the pairs and there are some differences. What I picked up is the "nubs" at the top seem too narrow, and some of the ones on the left side have curve/sloped sides instead of straight.?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6194 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is also no sign of separation around any of the "roulettes". There has to be at least some evidence that the sheet was broken up on each stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3735 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev - Have you let Siegel know your thoughts?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6194 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have done that before,in my experience it does not pay.
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add locals4me to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are there other single roulettes in the sale that might be questionable? Lot 427 looks OK except for the right side.(Now I worry a bit about some of my own roulettes)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6194 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
427 is certainly genuine; it has a PFC. It has all the proper earmarks.
Valued Member
38 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kbt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to note that Siegel pulled lot 424 (RO63d) from the auction today. Scott even mentioned that the chatter on "stamp forums" prompted them to pull it to send off for a cert.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6194 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard that as well. I'm glad; I was hoping it would come in in any case. I was surprised that he said he didn't know what the criteria are to determine genuine roulettes, however.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6194 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sale itself was very strong, with prices that often matched the scarcity of the material.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This sale was "unbelievable".....anybody from the outside who has questioned the strength of the stamp hobby should look no further than this "esoteric" sale, that in all prognosticators best estimates, was geared to a limited audience. Between this specialty sale and the previous day's graded stamp sale, the one takeaway is there is no shortage of collector money coming our way. As a collector getting back into the hobby, I no longer have any trepidation about spending the money necessary to finish filling those few precious holes in my album. I was, by design, in a "holding pattern", but as they say in Vegas. I am now "all in".....these are exciting times for us budding (or perhaps in my case, "reincarnated") collectors!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6194 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Private Die Proprietaries are a strong area with a serious base of support. Many are very knowledgeable and know which stamps are genuinely scarce and which simply have a decent catalog value due to popularity. Some of the rarities did not do as well as in the Scarsdale sale 7 years ago, however. These two collectors were not bidding this time, of course.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These two collectors were not bidding this time, of course.

....yes, perhaps this is true. But, I know 2 new collectors who were bidding today, neither of whom bid in Scarsdale, and one spent well over $100K. I don't know where the market was 7 years ago compared to today, but I can tell you most assuredly, there is a new guard spending serious money and assuring that the torch has been passed. The hobby, in my estimation (and at ALL levels) is alive and well!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3735 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would add that the economy is phenomenal and it is definitely helping things out. Two top dealers of quality US that I deal with cannot keep material on hand, are having a difficult time satisfying want lists and are experiencing record sales volume. The better the material with a correspondingly higher price the more in demand it is. Highly graded material is particularly hot. It is the perfect time to sell for those so inclined.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
179 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05