Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1830s US Rate Info Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 611Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
606 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add centerstage98 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings

This letter was posted in 1835 from Syracuse to Albany. It appears to be entirely there and seems to be normal size - 1 sheet of folded paper. However, the rate is 50 cents - 4 times the normal of 12 1/2. Any guesses why the rate was so high?

Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
606 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dang - I posted the wrong image .. will try again
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10539 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   4:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
If you upload the file again with the same file name, it will overwrite the incorrect image and fix the original post.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
606 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks .. .I did that, but it hasn't fixed it .. does it take a while?
Learn More...
United States
10539 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two file names are not the same, but I will fix it...hold one second.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
606 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK .. thanks .. this is why I don't ever post images ... ineptness on my part.
Learn More...
United States
10539 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   4:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No problem, done... you may have to force your browser to refresh the page (F5 key).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
606 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now it is there .. THANK you, Don. OK folks - NOW that is my mystery. Likely a simple explanation, but these early rates area weak area of my knowledge.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly appears to have gotten a quadruple rating as you note. The distance appears as though it should be just under 150 miles, which agrees with 12 1/2 cents for a single rate.

From the 1825 Postal Laws & Regulations (PL&R):

Quote:
and for every packet composed of four or more pieces of paper, or one or more other articles, and weighing one ounce avoirdupois, quadruple those rates

If you just have 1 sheet and its well under one ounce, then I would suggest that maybe at the time of mailing there were other "articles" attached, so to speak, getting it up to one ounce.

Does the content of the letter imply other materials being sent / included?

edit: Also, what is the dateline on the letter? Did it originate in Syracuse, or somewhere else? Steam and way letters are usually rated for distance from the point of origin.
Edited by txstamp - 11/04/2019 5:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
addressed to the "comptroller" - it likely contained banknotes or financial documents that each counted as an additional sheet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
spqr - I agree with what you said, and in fact, I almost made the same comment.

The only reason I didn't was because I used to have a whole correspondence from Rawdon-Wright to Flagg at Albany, and I want to say every one of those letters was a single rate. Go figure.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   04:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even when it's outside my area of collecting, I love seeing pre-stamp postal history and watching folks unravel the mysteries they sometimes have.

Thanks for sharing
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 611Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05