Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Cancels - Erd Vs Lrd

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
6522 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We as collectors have a great interest in cancels...it is exciting finding the ERD (Earliest Recorded Date)...Then next best is LRD (latest Recorded Date)...Collectors, dig deep, pay attention to cancels..You may have a good find sitting in a stock book.

Here is an example of a possible LRD
Canada Scott 98 - released JUL 16, 1908.
Here is a good find, my same stamp with a LRD of MAY 10, 1943.
Used approx. 12724 days after being released.

Cool find..Every one keep looking ad have fun.
Robert

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7299 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   12:15 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert,
I have always thought the acronym was EKU (Earliest Known Usage); a tricky collecting area since today's find can be made obsolete tomorrow when an earlier cancel is uncovered. It is also can be difficult to claim this since often there is not a single reference database that everyone reports to. For me, I typically snag them and put them in an album but have never reported any of them.

I do not understand the purpose of collecting latest known usage since anyone can make one at any time (unless the stamps are demonetized).
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
331 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the LRD for postmarks themselves is more of a collected or sought item than the stamp itself, especially as dealers often use the lower denomination older stamps, even today. Although these could be typically considered as a type of purposeful philatelic cover.
Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all - typically where does someone find erd or lrd information about cancels?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27155 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have always thought the acronym was EKU (Earliest Known Usage);

That's what we use in Australia EKU / LKU

In support of Don's LKU / LRD postulation, here is one for
28,846 days elapsed.
Valued Member
302 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't speak for collecting tastes in every country but I find for Canada, if it is not used in-period, there is no demand for it. This is true for most postal history after the Small Queens. For modern, it is almost essential, and early usage is preferable.

There are exceptions, including mixed-issue frankings, but they must make sense as a contemporary use.

Late use singles are interesting to find, and fun to see, but I don't see an active market for them.
Valued Member
Canada
330 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   12:48 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Glenn in that any study of cancellations should be "in period". For collectors of Small Queens the "in period" range is January 12, 1870 to December 31, 1897. Exhibitors of postal history must be careful and stick within the period of use or be prepared to accept the consequences from the judges.
GJP
Pillar Of The Community
6522 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree with Glenn in that any study of cancellations should be "in period".

Oh I agree Garfield..Just posting to show collectors that cancels can be interesting..This one used 35 years after brought into use...Nothing more...Not rare, but interesting to collect.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
6522 Posts
Posted Today  7 Hrs 45 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have always thought the acronym was EKU (Earliest Known Usage)

I used ERD (Earliest Recorded Date)...I use this because the Canadian Unitrade Catalouge uses ERD also.

EXAMPLE- Scott 37 - (ERD Mar. 1, 1873) page 54 on 2018 Catalouge.
Different countries can use what they use..Same thing in the end.

Robert
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05