Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Steiner Pages & Hong Kong Treaty Ports

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United Kingdom
11 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Goodwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone please advise if the Steiner pages include spaces for the British Post Offices in China/Treaty Ports which used Hong Kong stamps with a local postmark?
I understand there were 16 ports including Amoy, Canton, Foochow, Ningpo and Shanghai (the original 5 ports).
I have looked through my copy of Steiner but can't find the pages.
Many thanks.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having a reconnoitre for you,
first observation in my files for China are...........

I have 3,436 Steiner files, none result from a search for "treaty: "port" or "amoy"
Steiner follows Scott, so if you give me where they appear in Scott, I can look inside those files.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/06/2019 4:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try... Great Britain - Offices in China
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Try... Great Britain - Offices in China

Cheers Linus.

No Luck, no Treaty Ports.
Goodwin is best to email Mr. Steiner.........

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I understand there were 16 ports including Amoy, Canton, Foochow, Ningpo and Shanghai

Would you care to list the 16 Ports for me please?
I only have the above and Wuhu, I'd like to learn the others.
Thanks.

Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I had this image handy, from Webb, there were more than 16.

Linus
Edited by Linus - 11/06/2019 4:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2011 Scott Classic Specialized lists China Treaty Ports after Shanghai. Shanghai is listed at the end of China.

I do not have a current Scott Standard, but it may be that they are only in the Specialized.

The listing in 2011 only included 11 ports:
1)Amoy
2)Chefoo
3)Chinkiang
4)Chungking
5)Foochow
6)Hankow
7)Ichang
8)Kewkiang
9)Nanking
10)Wei Hai Wei
11)WuHu
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod -

The treaty port names are in the cancels. He could print out these Steiner pages multiple times and try to find each of these stamps cancelled from all the treaty ports. Pages for Amoy cancels, same pages for Canton cancels, same pages for Swatow cancels, etc. I think that is what he means.

Samples from my treaty port collection (mine are on Vario pages)

Linus

Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dstamp -

I guess it all depends on which country you are referring to, as a lot of countries had treaties with China for trade. Check out this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_ports

China has always been complicated, and it still is today.

Linus
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
He could print out these Steiner pages multiple times and try to find each of these stamps cancelled from all the treaty ports.

Linus,
of course! being a worldwide collector, and swapping from country to country in a short time, we miss the obvious.

So Goodwin will be advised to just print out the Great Britain offices to suit.

As I gathered my thoughts, it also became obvious, I should have quoted the Postage Stamp Atlas (I had it all along Sheesh!) with the treaty ports

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The listing in 2011 only included 11 ports:

Thanks very much DStamp. Appreciated.

Shanghai is with Steiner under "S"
13 pages, no treaty ports but has page for Shanghai "locals"
Edited by rod222 - 11/06/2019 5:37 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We must also bear in mind, in 1894 Amoy produced "Local" stamps of their own, John Phillips postmaster.

As they are "locals" not addressed in Scott or Steiner.
Edited by rod222 - 11/06/2019 5:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As they are "locals" not addressed in Scott

Not exactly true, as Shanghai locals ARE in 2019 Scott - Volume 6A pages 152-154. The other locals, not so much.

Scott is complicated.

Nice map!
Edited by Linus - 11/06/2019 5:54 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
11 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   05:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Goodwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for all your replies. Just to respond to some of the questions:

According to Stanley Gibbons (SG) Hong Kong Catalogue:

The original 5 British Post Offices (BPO) in China (otherwise known as Treaty Ports) in 1842 were:
Amoy, Canton, Foochow, Ningpo & Shanghai.

This was expanded in 1860 to 16 to include:
Chefoo, Hankow, Kiungchow (Hoihow), Swatow, Tainan (Anping) and Tientsin.
SG doesn't list the other 5 ports.

As far as I can see, the BPO/treaty ports used the stamps of Hong Kong and the only difference with the Hong Kong stamps used in Hong Kong is the postmark eg Amoy. However, SG give these stamps a separate listing. Looking again at the SG Catalogue, there are a good few thousand listings (eg Tientsin alone runs to 1038) so perhaps dedicated pages is not really practical. Or as is suggested above, I could print out the Hong Kong pages multiple times.

The stamps with the "CHINA" overprint were issued in 1917. These appear in the Steiner pages for Great Britain Offices.

Finally, a quick general question on the Steiner pages if I may. So far I've only used the Japan pages so I'm not very familiar with the general organisation of the CD. What is the difference between the Classic and Worldwide folders? Is the former just a sub-set of the latter?

Thanks again for all the help.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27457 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is the difference between the Classic and Worldwide folders?

Don't quote me, but I think it is the centenary of Postage Stamps.
1840-1940 only for each country.

Happy to be corrected.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1257 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   06:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the Classic pages cover 1840-1940, and up to 1952 for British Commonwealth countries. The Worldwide pages are for all countries and all years up to the present.

Robert
Edited by Trainwreck - 11/07/2019 06:09 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05