Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some New Additions To My Collection

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Reedededge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One of the problems as one advances through a collection is that the spaces get more difficult to fill and consequently, they get filled less frequently. Here are some of my latest additions. Unfortunately, the images may not load in the correct order, but I'm certain you will figure out which is which: Page 1 - #1A MINT NG; Page 2 - 3 new #1s for my Shade Study. No two shades are identical although many of the red-browns are VERY close. It's amazing if one pursues sub-shades, how many different ones there really are; Page 3 - cool revenues w/ both "Silver Tax" examples being new; Page 4 - #WS-5, VF, MOG and NH! This is an impossible stamp to find in this condition...RARE, RARE, RARE!!!

Send note to Staff
Edited by Reedededge - 11/06/2019 12:22 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1811 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice stuff.

I recall you are doing covers now as well.
Are you using the same album for them, or do you have a different strategy?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wannahocalugie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous! Bravo
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My postal history is in a separate large National album.
Edited by Reedededge - 11/06/2019 1:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
524 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great job! Would love to see separate scans of the 1c Franklin's for study purposes..ie no clue as to Sc# or plate/position.
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the close-ups of the 1c Blues:

Scott #5, ex-Wingate

Scott #5a/7 pair

Scott #6

Scott #7

Scott #8

Scott #8a

Each stamp has at least one corresponding PF cert.

Obviously #5 is position 7R1E, and I believe the #5a is position 5R1E. I'm not certain of the others, and I see no notations on the PF certs.
Edited by Reedededge - 11/06/2019 3:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The trio of 1c blues on my first album page are all Scott #8a. I have a PF cert for those also, but once again, I would have to research whether plate positions are noted.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
861 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your Scott #6 is incredible. Great look at bottom ornaments. Maybe I'll try to plate it
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your Scott #6 is incredible. Great look at bottom ornaments. Maybe I'll try to plate it

Go for it!
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful examples - keep us posted as you add to your collection.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
861 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the #6 is 94R4
Better scan would help
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the war savings stamps too! Someday, I'll fill my last 2 spots there too! I may never get a 5, 5A, or 6 though. I have a lot of other spots to fill first.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3323 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Impressed.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4527 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   02:01 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As someone who has no interest in US stamps, but is interested in seeing others' collections, may I venture a couple of comments? One common characteristic of printed albums is the tendency of collectors to ignore the layout and add stamps to the margins. The result is a hodge-podge like the first Scott page here, which, in tandem with the black mounts, reduces the attractiveness of the material.

I recognise the problem because some of my own albums are similarly messy - it requires an effort of will to avoid it. Manufacturers used to issue stern imprecations about the desirability of separately mounting additional material, and they were right. Loose-leaf albums make it easy to add further pages, with accompanying information about particular varieties, shades, plate positions etc, allowing the stamps on the initial printed page to stand out as they should.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2159 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   05:07 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the cert # for the #6? Could you post a better image of the stamp please?

Edit: Never mind. Found it... #366842. Just wanted to make sure you knew that it is actually a used stamp with a removed pen cancellation.
Edited by sinclair2010 - 11/07/2019 05:17 am
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am well aware of the stamps I own and what they are, Sinclair2010. I am not a collector with endless resources, so I attempt to get examples that face up well and that I can afford. I am sorry that my first U.S. page with it's cluttered appearance offends you, Geoffha, but I happen to like it. The few extras that I included, at least in my mind, fit. Our collections are all personal statements and reflect our passion for the hobby in different ways. Imagine how boring it would be if we all assembled our albums in the exact same manner?

I am going to offer some "friendly advice", since others don't seem to shy away from offering it to me: This hobby needs new collectors, and we should do everything within our power to assure that we encourage them to come onboard. I have a friend who started his collection less than 3 years ago, and probably has spent more than I have in 12. He is enjoying the hell out of the process of assembling his various sub-sets, and the hobby in general. To him, I say kudos! There are no "sour grapes" because his #1 with OG exceeds anything I will ever own. I don't feel compelled to remind him of a fault noted on a cert or inform him that he didn't follow the manufacturer's direction while plugging holes in his album. Those were his choices, and I'm glad he has joined the ranks of our hobby to make them. This hobby will flourish and grow once we share the message of what it has to offer, as well as the passion of how much fun it can be. That is the direction, IMHO, we should all pursue.
Edited by Reedededge - 11/07/2019 08:28 am
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05