Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Could Do A Much Better Job Vetting Buyer Accounts

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
3033 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   9:39 pm  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add jogil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You would think that eBay would have safeguards to prevent the following:

Someone opened an eBay account on purpose just to make a false purchase on one of my more valuable items on eBay. They used a yahoo email account which they cancelled. They made no payment for the item and left me hanging with a phony sale that they did not intend to honor. It looks like the requirements to be a buyer and to bid or buy items on eBay are very lax. It looks like all of the information like address and phone number recorded on their eBay profile is false. Too bad that eBay does not do a good job at vetting/checking buyer information.
Send note to Staff
Edited by jogil - 11/08/2019 06:51 am

Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How did they use buy it now?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4630 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   10:45 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil,

How do you know it's a bogus account? If they don't pay you will get your final value fees back and you can relist for free. How exactly is eBay supposed to police this?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1263 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   12:23 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How do you know it's a bogus account? If they don't pay you will get your final value fees back and you can relist for free. How exactly is eBay supposed to police this?

There is no way, but it is possible to specify "Immediate Payment Required" for higher priced listings. I had encountered this problem a couple of years ago. An eBay seller was reported to have found a way to create bogus eBay accounts in China. Account names were composed of Chinese characters. At the time other sellers also encountered the same issue.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   12:49 am  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay is always going to err on the side of the buyer, and making registration simple and easy with no cumbersome verification steps is part of that philosophy. They don't want potential buyers getting frustrated and walking away without buying something.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4377 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   01:06 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why would anyone do this, aside from the joy of malevolence, given that the goods couldn't be fraudulently obtained?
Learn More...
7299 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   03:08 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The total lack of vetting of eBay accounts/multiple accounts has been an issue discussed here for a number of years. While they could put some additional basic verification checks in place the truth is no matter what they do there is always a way to work around these things. Ranging from technical (IP masking) to logistical (using a friends account) methods it is very difficult to prevent a person from using multiple accounts.
So 'revenge feedbacks' are common. There are cases of people doing this for all kinds of reasons including 3rd party forum comments, insulting someone's spouse at a stamp show, or contacting a seller about an error in a listing. There is no limit on the number of reasons someone might be upset and there is no feasible way for eBay to prevent someone from having 10, 20, or even 50+ accounts.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
3033 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   06:48 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I tried emailing them to contact them, the yahoo email address came back as no such email address.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4630 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   07:03 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is no way, but it is possible to specify "Immediate Payment Required" for higher priced listings.

Exactly. This functionality already exists, and it's up to each seller to decide whether to enable it on their listings. This is not an eBay policing issue IMO.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1135 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   07:40 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only useful tool I've found is the ability to set eBay preferences to exclude bidders that have Unpaid Item strikes. It is also important the sellers always file unpaid item claims so bidders get tagged with a strike.

I'd like to see eBay add the number of unpaid strikes right next to the bidder's feedback score.
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And then there are the sellers who notify you your payment is late within hours of an item closing?

Bottom line is there will always be folks that abuse any system. Caveat Emptor.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While not unsympathetic to the OP's dilemma, though I'm not really grasping why someone would create a bogus account to "buy" something they weren't going to purchase, there is little eBay can do I'm thinking.

I worked in direct commission sales for many years, and I've also worked in other situations that were reliant on people looking at / considering our services, in a competitive market. In order to have customers one first must have prospects / shoppers around, which often may include dealing with some "problem people", that's just part of life. Any attempt to "filter out" these "problems" may inadvertently also filter out a viable and valid prospect and is simple not worth the risk.

Suppose a mall decided it needed to vet its shoppers and set up TSA style screening at the entrances (also probable needing to reduce the number of entrances). Those entering will have to be prequalified by having disclosed a valid address, phone #, and e-mail, all verified somehow, and that they have the financial wherewithal to shop there. You can bet that this mall, and the shops inside of it, will quickly go out of business as most shoppers won't put up with such an annoyance as there are almost always alternative shopping options in the market.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3648 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a reason why auction houses have to approve you for bidding. Siegel still got brutally hit once.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1135 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   12:05 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While not unsympathetic to the OP's dilemma, though I'm not really grasping why someone would create a bogus account to "buy" something they weren't going to purchase, there is little eBay can do I'm thinking.

I don't know why this happens but it does and I think I'm the Poster Boy for this behavior. Since June 2018 I've had 65 Unpaid items totaling over $8,000. Just last month I had 3 people from Germany open eBay accounts (2 from the same address) and between them win 24 auctions totaling $3400 and then just vanish. They only bid on my material and I can't see how this was anything but malicious. I had not sold to Germany for a couple years and these bids all came in the 2nd week after I reopened Germany for sales.

My other Unpaids were all from the New Jersey deadbeats. A bidder won 10 auctions paid for 4 and asked me to wait for payment for the other 6 that never came. I blocked him filed Unpaid cases and moved on but then he started a campaign of signing up a relative bidding and either not paying or paying for part of his winnings.

In my opinion eBay could do a lot more to help in these situations. For example the 3 German bidders are brand new to eBay and all have 0 feedback but multiple Unpaid Item Strikes but are still registered eBay bidders and 1 of them has gone on to stiff 2 more sellers. eBay should purge the deadbeats.

In the NJ case the new ids were being created to avoid my block and I showed it to eBay many times but of the 8 new ids only 1 was canceled. eBay kept telling me "we're doing something but we can't tell you what" and I kept saying "it's not working".
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
646 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay does not vette buyers period. Never has and never will.

I told someone to sell his computer privately on the boards after going through non payers for 2 listings.

I got a week vacation from the boards for the comment.
Pillar Of The Community
3033 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unless eBay gets hit by a class action lawsuit by all sellers that have had this happen to them, they will never change anything. If this sale was from a legitimate buyer, it would have helped me at this time that I needed it, but instead it has caused me further upset since my business is on the rocks.
Edited by jogil - 11/08/2019 12:37 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05