Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1928 Postcard From Hankow China To Hong Kong

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Linus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My latest research project I will share with the club is this postcard I recently found in a stamp shop in Branson, Missouri, USA. The two Chinese junk three-cent stamps were cancelled at Hankow, China on March 8, 1928. The card is addressed to Mrs. J M Wright, in care of the American Consulate General, Hong Kong.

The picture side shows a real photo of a primitive ferry boat crossing a river heading towards a village of mostly huts. Scribbled beside the photo are the words, "The ferry at Bontoc (October, 1926)." After a little research, I discovered this is Bontoc Village on Luzon Island in the Philippines, and not in China at all.

There are two words in the message I cannot figure out, but it says:

Hankow, March 7th, 1928
Thanks for your kind word <????> about my Shanghai <????>. We are off for the Rapids by the U.S.S. Guam tomorrow morning, several days behind schedule because of low water. Due in Shanghai again about March 28th.

Can anybody figure out these 2 words so it makes sense? Perhaps the second word is lola?

Thanks,
Linus
Send note to Staff
Edited by Linus - 11/07/2019 10:44 pm

Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a picture of the USS Guam and a little history about it:

I think the writer of this postcard was a merchant, and not a serviceman in the military. I found this in my research, click to make larger:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Linus - 11/07/2019 10:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
740 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those two words are certainly puzzling! They look like "chit" and "bla" to me, but of course that makes no sense whatsoever.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is my problem, trying to make sense of it. Oh well, we may never know for sure what was being said there.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27155 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
May we have the text, to whom it was posted, please?
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod- see the text above, I typed it out.

Hey erilaz, chit is actually a word! I think chit is correct for the first one. Thanks!

It makes sense if he is thanking her for the word "note."

Edited by Linus - 11/07/2019 11:41 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27155 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
J Marion Wright.
"chit" is a well known word, by me, well used, however it does not make sense in that sentence to me, unless Mrs Wright's nickname was "chit" , I doubt it.

Given the year 1928, and the address, together with a female recipient,
"Shanghai Lola" does not make sense either.

"Chit" as an "improper lady" ( derogatory English)

An impudent or arrogant young woman.
'she is a mere chit of a girl'

That could make the sentence have meaning.
Edited by rod222 - 11/07/2019 11:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it does not make much sense at all. I did find that lola means sorrows...

My best guess is to substitute "note" for the first one and "sorrows" for the second one, perhaps slang at that time.

Thanks,
Linus
Edited by Linus - 11/07/2019 11:32 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27155 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am favouring an unsuitable girlfriend of the author, assessed by the addressee Mrs Wright.
Edited by rod222 - 11/07/2019 11:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is quite possible.
   Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05