Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918 Switzerland Officials Quandry. Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
183 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been working on my Swiss officials, especially the 1918 War Board of Trade issue, Sc#'s 1O1-1O8. There is a note in Scott's below the listing that reads "Most unused examples of Nos. 1O1-1O8 are reprints made using the original overprint forms." Questions are, What does that mean?, is there a difference in the value between the original and the reprint?, and how is it possible to tell the difference between the two? Or does it make a difference? Sorry for my ignorance. Regards Wolf-==-
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27155 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll join you in your ignorance.
I don't recall ever seeing that entire set.
Very expensive.

In fact I had to get out Scott, because I did not recognise your reference to "Board of Trade" opts.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/08/2019 4:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2255 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting article in German.Specialized literature is needed for these overprints.Impossible otherwise.Partial translation below
What about counterfeiting, how to buy these stamps? Wie sieht es mit Fälschungen aus, wie sollte man diese Marken erwerben?
"As already mentioned, there are countless counterfeits, some of them are already without comparison material very easy to expose, as the overprint with other letters, another printing process was done, or the counterfeiter wanted to produce great rarities, such as double, inverted overprints, imprint on other stamps, mixed print, so once thin and once thick. All of these stamps carry false overprints, sometimes they are also offered as waste paper or misprints, but the stamp control of the PTT and the responsible officials at the IKW department worked well and Auberson's report clearly stated that the complete deliveries were flawless. Easy to unmask are hand stamp overprints, imprints with laser printers or inkjet printers. On the other hand, there are forged overprints which were made in the printer's pride shortly after the official print job, these unfortunately make up most of the fakes. These counterfeits are only with good comparison material and experience to expose, since the printing was done with the same machines, the same ink and the same block letters. The only difference is that the print forms have been reassembled. Therefore, each of the 25 types of imprints differs somewhat in the spacing of the letters and in the small particularities of each individual letter. In the book by Michael Peter and Ralph Soderberg these differences are explained in detail for the thin imprints.
"The situation is a bit different with the thick overprints. Again, these are overprints that were created at the end of the printing period with newly put together plates. They also differ from the real imprints by small deviations. But the printers went out of their way and printed in the evening for dealers and collectors with the real printing plates, on genuine stamps, with the correct printing ink, but not on behalf of the post office. I call them "Feierabenddrucke". So they are real, but not made by order of the post office. They are no different from the stamps that were delivered to the post office. This is probably the reason that stamps with the thick overprint type were more in circulation than the thin overprint type. Canceled stamps with a thick overprint are much rarer than mint stamps."
http://www.briefmarken-bl.ch/eigene...w/index.html
Edited by perf12 - 11/08/2019 5:38 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27155 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent link, (chapter and verse) Thanks P12

Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still a difficult issue to get right. Thanks for the link. Cheers! Wolf-==-
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05