Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ottoman Negative Telegraph Postmark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Greece
138 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add manosp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This belongs to an old man collectors said that is unique and expensive ! after my search in the web I haven't found any similar items, has anyone any recommendations please ?

***Title Updated By Mod***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2255 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by perf12 - 11/08/2019 12:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2791 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi manosp.

This is a postmark of the Turkish post office in Chania / Hania in Crete.

The French text reads "BUREAU TELEGRAPHIQUE ET POSTAL / HAGNE."
Nigel
Valued Member
Greece
138 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manosp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello perf12 and nigelc !

Yes indeed its from Chania not Bulgaria as perf12 mention.

Nigelc have you seen that before in any catalogue or auction ? I try to evaluate that but cant find any references !
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2791 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's listed in both Feenstra's Crete handbook and in the Foreign Post Offices book by Nicolas and Galinos.

Neither gives any information on dates of use.

Feenstra does give a price on piece of €400 but I'd be cautious about this.

Nicolas and Galinos do not give any prices for this postmark.

Nigel
Valued Member
Greece
138 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manosp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Nigelc ! Do you know where I can find Feenstra's book ?
When you says cautious what is all about ?
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2255 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the examples for Bulgaria on entire documents the asking price is $1.500 - $5.500 .
A small piece like yours would be a fraction of that.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2791 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second edition (hardbound with a white cover) of Feenstra's Crete handbook was published by collectio in Athens.

I don't think it's still in print but I do recommend it strongly.

It's a very useful reference for many aspects of Cretan philately.

It's clear the postmark is scarce and collectable but how much would a collector pay for the postmark alone?

I've just checked the catalogue of collectio's auction #48 which featured Rienk Feenstra's own collection and was held in 2005.

This auction appears to have included a copy of this postmark on a reduced envelope, described as "the only known strike of this handstamp" (!) with a starting price of €300.

Unfortunately, I don't have to hand the prices realised from the sale so I don't know if this lot sold or if so for how much.

Good luck with this!
Nigel
Valued Member
Greece
138 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manosp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Nigelc !
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2255 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Manosp:You should put the word Ottomanat the begining of this threads title.
Otherwise everything we write about will be lost forever…
Some reading on the start of the Ottoman telegraph (page 16).
http://www.levantineheritage.com/pd...gul_Okan.pdf
Valued Member
Greece
138 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manosp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Perf12, I think is written already , thanks for the link !
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05