Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Smithsonian National Postal Museum Curator Of Philately Job Opening

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,041Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7163 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1572 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   6:28 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only way I could afford to take that job is if they'd let me do eBay in my free time.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7163 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. The pay sucks and you would have to live in DC or area. Amazing job though for the right person.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2472 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This job definitely needs the right person.

Someone who is active in the philatelic community, like the last two, at least, really has helped. Of course the person has to have the right interpersonal skill set as well as other requirements.

I will be very interested to see who gets this.
It will have an impact on our hobby.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
926 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm out. I just asked my wife if I could apply at dinner tonight...she says raising 2 kids in D.C. on 60 grand not possible. Conversation lasted all of 1 minute. Thought it was worth a shot . I told her with experience maybe 90 grand? My wife then informed me that I have no experience. She is right
Learn More...
9935 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   7:45 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone who is benevolent.
Move to a city which has the 5th highest cost of living to work for $50k to $90k?? The job market is tight, you cannot throw a rock without hitting a good paying job. I do not see how they will be able to attract high quality candidates.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2472 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An early retiree who loves the hobby and wants some extra stamp money.
I can vouch that that worked well once.
Learn More...
9935 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   8:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the criteria is "I like stamp collecting and I need some extra money" then the door is indeed open to many people. Perhaps that fellow who was removed from the APS after being arrested, who I think already lives in the area, should submit his resume.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2472 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That was obviously not the only criteria.

His Harvard MBA, undergrad engineering degree and tons of business leadership experience also helped.

A love of the hobby and a lot of drive is why this candidate was great vs just good. That was my point. We don't just need someone qualified, we need someone who wants it.
Edited by txstamp - 11/08/2019 9:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My question is who stepped down to create this opening. I thought Daniel Piazza was the curator. Am I mistaken?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
811 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I worked for a stamp dealer in DC in the 1980's and started at $15k - upped to $18k after 3 months. DC was expensive then, too, and the $ was worth a lot more then, but I really struggled. Lucky for me, the company went out of business after I was there for a little more than a year and I went to another dealer and got a bit of a raise. I thought I had it made - a job I loved and making a little more money. When THAT company went away, I left the industry. Simply not stable enough. Fun, no doubt, but no stability. I learned to keep a hobby a hobby. Now I make lots more money (in the aerospace industry), buy all the stamps I want (well, not ALL the stamps I want, but you know what I mean), and I GET TO KEEP THEM!

Plus, the weather in DC is horrible. One of the summers that I was there, there were over 50 days over 90 and like 10 over 100. Unbearably humid, too. And they get snow in the winter. My understanding is that diplomats in DC regularly get hardship pay because the climate is so bad.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7163 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pay range noted in the advert incorporates a 29 % locality adjustment for the DC area. Kind of silly for the level of responsibility but that is commonplace for some Government jobs. And the 90k is at step 10. Nowhere left to go unless the job was reclassified.
Valued Member
224 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Foreign diplomats posted in their countries' missions in DC generally do get hardship pay because of the climate -- and not just the political climate!

The posted job would be ideal for someone who already has an income stream -- say a retiree -- and who already lives in the area. Wait a minute, that sounds like me!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2472 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
who stepped down to create this opening. I thought Daniel Piazza was the curator

Piazza is acting. Cheryl Ganz stepped down.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,041Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05