Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying A Small Queen's Fancy Cancel

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
3 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add tshew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
6570 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum tshew

It would help if you could get a good scan or take a picture with your phone again with the flash off..Too much light.

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Canada
3 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tshew to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Robert! I had been on the forum quite a number of years back... nice to be back.

Here is one taken by phone alone (previous were taken under LED magnification).
Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. Your stamp looks like a good candidate for a try with an application called retro reveal. It's free, I've tried it with success while trying to pick out info on cancels. Www.retroreveal.org

Let us know the results if you use it.

Chris
Learn More...
7396 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   5:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
308 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It might be an early state of the Toronto so-called rose cork cancel from 1874, I don't have Lacelle (or Day & Smithies) references handy as I'm busy working. I've only seen the late state in person. Maybe someone could check for me, thank you.
Valued Member
308 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have any references handy but maybe someone could check in Lacelle (or Day & Smythies) for me thanks. It resembles an early state of the Toronto rose cork cancel ca. 1874. Looks a bit large though. I have only seen the late state.
Edited by archerg - 11/10/2019 5:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
6570 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a pdf with about 200 special cancels..Soon as I get time I will try to find out for you.

Robert

I checked all my cancels I have in my database...Cant see a match...Seriously, I (we) need a clearer picture..Just go under a normal light and take a picture again (not blurry)

Now it could be a "slogan cancel"...There were 1000's printed..like the sample below.

Edited by wert - 11/10/2019 8:37 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27462 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If any members come across these during research, it would be appreciated.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
755 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert I see what I believe is "ntre" which is probably part of a Montreal cancel at the bottom of the King George issue. Then there is the duplex killer cancel with a "B" in it which may be a branch or sub office in Montreal. Also under that killer cancel I see another cancel with "Cana" which is obviously Canada. Cannot make out the rest of it.
Pillar Of The Community
6570 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye No1philatelist
tshew and rod222...You might try here if you haven't already.

Robert

http://www.bnaps.org/hhl/n-fcm.htm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27462 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Robert I see what I believe is "ntre" which is probably part of a Montreal cancel at the bottom of the King George issue.

Thanks No1 I have that as "University Street" My problem is, I have never seen the full "B" Pmk, it does not look like the other types of Alpha duplexes.
I am still hesitant.

Quote:
You might try here if you haven't already.

Super ! Robert, Thanks a bunch. Recall seeing this before, was not in my postmarks folder though...look forward to hunting through.
Edited by rod222 - 11/10/2019 10:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
755 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I addressed Robert rather than Rod. Messed up that salutation. Anyway, Rod as far as the 2c registration stamp with the bullseye cancel, not sure of origin but it is fairly common. And Robert, thanks for that link. Useful info.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27462 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Messed up that salutation.

Hey, No 1, no problems, call me anything, as long as it's not late for dinner.

Found 1 Postmark Lacelle pdf #31
Target Pmk (From 1851)
"cut up" variant, to refresh the hammer.

Valued Member
308 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it's not obvious, one Montreal B duplex has been struck over another, thus the football-shaped barred "B" is superimposed on the dater.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27462 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it's not obvious, one Montreal B duplex has been struck over another, thus the football-shaped barred "B" is superimposed on the dater.

Brilliant!
I'd have never got that, well done Sir!
That's 2 sorted.

Pertinent humour from Mr Lacelle..........
Edited by rod222 - 11/11/2019 01:29 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05