Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying A Small Queen's Fancy Cancel

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27484 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know if Mr. Lacelle is available to contact, or whether this has already been solved.............

Pdf #32 Unknown fancy cancel

I believe this to be a Belgian "Roulette" or "Pizza Wheel" (variant)
(Unconfirmed)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/11/2019 01:06 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27484 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Up to Lacelle pdf 45, not seen anything like the Original Post Image.
Maybe found the 2 ring "blob" (damaged "43"?)

Valued Member
308 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod

I think your strike is just from a "homemade" bullseye hammer rather than a worn two-ring numeral cancel. The diameter of the inner ring is too small.

The St. Regis numeral cancel used in the 1930s looks completely different from the long-used Cornwall 2R40 hammer.

As for the stamp in the OP, the stamp itself is in yellow brown shade and has compound perfs. This puts its likeliest use in the 1874 period.

I will be at the Greene library Wednesday and will pull their copy of Lacelle to look for comparables.
Edited by archerg - 11/11/2019 9:35 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27484 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bow to greater knowledge.
Thanks Archerg.

The OP stamp, looked to me to have a 6 or 9 in the design, unless a "chatter" strike, as far as I see that could only be Montreal or Port Hope impression.

Going through 45 *.pdf's is laborious, the "floral" type design, fancy cancels,
appeared to me to be "negative" in the main, rather than positive as the OP stamp. Is this pertinent? I wonder.
Edited by rod222 - 11/11/2019 10:16 pm
Canada
3 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tshew to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone... thank you... very much appreciate the knowledge share. I too was thinking it was a pizza wheel or foreign cancel. I don't think there is much doubling. I will upload another photo in an attempt to correct the shaky hands issue. Hopeful that it will be better! Will also give that software a try on the weekend.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05