Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Jefferson 10 Cents Imperforate Only One Site

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Austria
15 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wipi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I own a Jefferson stamp (probably from 1875) that is cut only on one side
An unperforation on one side only - does that make the stamp worthless?

Send note to Staff
Edited by wipi - 11/10/2019 07:15 am

Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
what you have is an example of the top row right stamp of the pane. note the part arrow in the right corner. it is were the sheets were cut into panes, and is normal for it not to be perforated. check out the stampsmarter.com website for more details.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Straight edges occur when a sheet is cut into smaller panes. Usually it's just one edge, but sometimes two adjacent edges. This is absolutely a normal thing and it doesn't affect value much. Some collectors try to avoid them.
Learn More...
7407 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your stamp was printed in sheets of 200 which were cut into two panes of 100 stamps. As shown below, the red cut line produced the 'straight edge' stamps.
Don

Valued Member
Austria
15 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wipi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for fast answer!

I think for this next stamp is the same?
is it Lincoln?
Cut on the upper side

Edited by wipi - 11/10/2019 12:54 pm
Learn More...
7407 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   1:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This has top perfs that have been cut with scissors after production. This sometimes happened if a person cut opened the envelope. If you look closely at the top perfs you might be able to see a few remaining perforation holes (they would look like slight indents).

Unlike your first stamp, stamps which have been cut by scissors after production are considered damaged/altered.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6572 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wipi, it would help if you post your picture using black background so we can see the perforations

Peter
Valued Member
Austria
15 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wipi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
studebaker has good eyes - I donīt know!

For Petert4522 - two new Fotos on black Background

I have to admit, the cut on the top is awry!
But there is no gum on backside!

I bought these stamps at a flea market - from someone who does not collect stamps and does not speak English!

Edited by wipi - 11/10/2019 1:41 pm
Learn More...
7407 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   2:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note the layout of the stamp sheet above, there were no top/bottom natural straight edged stamps, only the sides could be a natural straight edge.

(This differs from other later stamps where the sheet configuration was 400 stamps, 4 panes of 100 stamps, and there could be top/bottom or side straight edged stamps.)
Don
Valued Member
Austria
15 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wipi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mean? the stamp is worthless?
Learn More...
7407 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   2:06 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is altered/damaged, many collectors would keep the stamp until a better copy came along.
Don
Valued Member
Austria
15 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wipi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for answer
maybe I'm lucky and the first stamp with Jefferson is valuable ??
Learn More...
7407 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   2:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can learn more about the varieties of your 10 Cent stamp here
http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/187...tml#Scott139
and here
http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/187...Note10c.html

You will need to do discovery to determine which catalog number it is...note the printing quantities and start with the assumption that your stamp is likely to be the variety with the highest print quantity. But check the secret mark and learn more about paper types, this is the kind of stuff that makes stamp collecting fun!
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3799 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andrew Jackson
Valued Member
82 Posts
Posted 11/10/2019   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ttreen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2c is either Jackson or Beavis, certainly one of those two.
Valued Member
Austria
15 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wipi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ ttreen and redwoodrandy - your are right - my second posted stamps Shows Jackson - not Lincoln

@ 51studebaker : thats are very helpful links!

My Ten-Cent Washington Bank Notes is definitely Scott 161P3 - Continental Printing (There is a semi-circle in the ball at the end of the right hand scroll)

It will be very exhausting if I have to control every stamp so precisely....

But I am confused now: 51 studebaker posted this Link:

http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/187...Note10c.html
"Ten-Cent Washington Bank Notes" it is the stamp what I own!

But I thought it was a Jefferson stamp?

here:
https://www.stamp-collecting-world....ps_1870.html
10 Cents ist Jefferson
Edited by wipi - 11/11/2019 12:40 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05