Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have Questions On These Two Stamps Which May Be Die Proofs Used For Postage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
23 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Chipshot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are a couple of stamps I have had for decades and have never really ascertained what they are. Opinions would be appreciated.
I show the stamps backs as well and the paper is what I thought was hard white, but may be something different. Thank you.

I am not sure why the images are being posted horizontally as my photo orientation as down loaded is vertical.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3793 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
23 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reorientation.
Learn More...
7399 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   12:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bank Note era stamp can have very large margins (typically called 'jumbos'). These were often trimmed of their perforations to make 'imperfs'. Here is an example (image courtesy of member essayk)

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chipshot

I know these are known imperf. Tried to find it again in Scott 1840-1940 and the Specialized Catalog from 2005 but haven't had any luck. I have come across it in the past though. Don't have an example of the 10 cent but do have the 2 cent. So let me take this opportunity to put my 2 cents into this thread.

The paper is not typical on this stamp.
Edited by gettinold - 11/11/2019 12:21 pm
Learn More...
7399 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   12:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They were imperf essays and proofs but these will not be found postally used. In my opinion the stamps above are jumbos with the perfs trimmed off.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4423 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   1:01 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Accepting my deteriorating eyesight, there appear to be hints of perfs on the right -hand side of the first 2c, at the right base of the second and at the top right of the 10c.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Before the 1960s or so, collectors weren't particularly concerned about jumbo margins, but with centering. With Scott listing imperf pairs, American Bank Note issues with large margins would have perfs cut off to try to imitate imperf singles. This is the reason why Scott insists on listing imperfs in pairs.

That Don and Randy have examples readily at hand is telling, I think. Jumbos often come from margin positions and so would typically be straightedged. Note all trimmed examples shown above have one gigantic margin, which is the sheet margin. That makes you ignore the fact that the other margins are not necessarily full or showing part of the adjacent stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
685 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa

Never noticed that nick on the bottom right. Very well may be the remains of a perf. I was on the fence about this stamp but no longer. Thanks.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
23 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My thanks to all for the observations and history lessons. Using the magnification with your assistance certainly has me understanding and in total agreement here.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
996 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An older post about imperf. bank notes
http://goscf.com/t/27325
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05