Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Iranian/Persian Collection...from Tehran

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
21 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add novicestamp428 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
My father-in-law immigrated from Iran during the Revolution. As a young boy he collected stamps in his hometown of Tehran, Iran. He recently gave me his collection and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Iranian stamp collecting? Is it common? I am new to the stamp collecting world so I am DEFINITELY a novice. Thank you for any information as to where I can maybe go for information? I attached a few pictures as a sample of the hundreds of Iranian stamps I have.

Send note to Staff
Edited by novicestamp428 - 11/11/2019 11:08 pm

Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
81 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey there novicestamp428
I think you are very lucky.It is a beautiful looking collection!I am avidly collecting from Iraq at present...

I am completely unqualified to answer any questions at all, being a complete.. (fill in the gap) "beginner".

But I can say that if you type in search bar on the page here you will find a lot of posts re Iranian stamps.

There is also https://www.iranphilately.org/ (if i'm allowed to post that?)

I'm sure the qualified ones will have more information..

good luck and enjoy.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
650 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful collection. Get a catalogue and perhaps join a society. You can find additional stamps online on eBay or elsewhere.

https://www.iranphilately.org/stamps/
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novicestamp428 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you DrewM and lostandfound. I joined the Iran philately group on Facebook to try to learn more and identify these beautiful stamps. I have also been researching this forum and have come across very useful information. I know there are a lot of fakes in Persian stamps, however, I have been delicately examining all of the evidences and I am unable to find any that says these are fakes so far. Of course, I am still a novice and learning, but regardless, I would love to know more about the place my father in law came from and all of these stamps he collected pre-revolution and during the revolution in Tehran. I am unable to find MANY of these stamps online...so my research continues!
Edited by novicestamp428 - 11/12/2019 07:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1243 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
novice stamp: also you might consider this web site as the owner is a US based expert on Persian stamps. www.persi.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4380 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting here Novice ,the site Climber Steve link should be more helpful . I also have a extensive Iran collection ,I am not a expert in the early reprints or forgeries but have most of them .Those stamps on the white sheets look like Cinderella's .The block of 4 stamps looks like a label or some kind ,so that is a Cinderella from what I can make out .

The stamps in your second scan look like they got rust [mold damage] again I would need better scans to be sure .
Valued Member
Israel
468 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Either I rushed to conclusion, or the site www.persi.com offers little online data and focuses on selling.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rob Roy, the link to the site was largely intended to direct you to the catalogs offered. They are certainly worth the price including forgery identification and listing of issues not covered in the general catalogs.

There is also a forgery identification sectin online, which is under continued expansion.
Edited by hy-brasil - 11/12/2019 11:10 pm
Valued Member
Israel
468 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   05:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. As omni(philatelo)vor I can't afford that level of expertise, so I entered this thread to learn as much as I can online.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novicestamp428 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lostandfound...I am currently going through all of my Iraq stamps and I have a few duplicates. I am more than happy to send you a picture to see if you want any when I am done. Free! Just let me know!
Edited by novicestamp428 - 11/13/2019 4:15 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27483 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A random page from my collection.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novicestamp428 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222 beautiful! I was wondering what "pages" look like from collectors...I have a LOT of work and learning to do! Ha!
Valued Member
346 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a note on the eBay part - be wary of purchasing or selling right now, especially with eBay or using Paypal due to the embargoes. Unless things recently changed, there was a ban on this, even for Persian stamps that pre-date Iran. I believe Cuba and NKorea fall into the same category, possibly a few others.

On another note, beautiful stamps. I have a very nice Persian collection of some very rare and unique pieces. I only know about the embargo issue as I tried to sell it at one point as it doesn't fit my collecting interests and it was not worth the hassle. Unfortunately the grand politics of the world has to affect philately.

Enjoy your new collecting area!!
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novicestamp428 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
UPDATE! I have been in contact with the Iran Philately Group and my father in law as well. The Iran group said that they have never seen anything like these! My father-in-law told me that they were a gift to him from his Uncle in Tehran when he was a young boy. His Uncle had them since HE was a young boy. He did not know where his Uncle got them from, but they do in fact have numbers on them. He did say that if he remembers correctly, they are over 100 years old, but didn't know exactly how old. According to the stamp they are 127 years old, however, how can one be sure? No one claims to have seen these before. They are pictures of the Kings and their bloodline. The stamps in the middle say the year 1314 (Persian calendar) - currently the Persian calendar is year 1441. The one that has the gold writing was very special to him as it was done in real Persian gold ink (pieces of gold in the actual ink). The single stamp in the middle of the white page does say 10R (in the circle) - equivalent to 2 pennies or so.

I plan on contacting the the actual post in Iran to see if they can get me any more information. But they are certainly unique! If any Persian collectors out there know any information I would love to know!

Edited by novicestamp428 - 11/18/2019 9:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4380 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Novice -Thanks for the update,but I take issue with you on the age of those Cinderella's . The first souvenir sheet looks like the SHAH with the military style uniform ,also the women's hair style and makeup tells me these sheets are a lot newer ,women didn't look like that in Iran 127 years ago .
Edited by floortrader - 11/18/2019 6:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add novicestamp428 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey floortrader, Yes, I agree. Thats why I made the comment..."who really knows?" I don't know the dates of these at all. Just what the papers say...which is why I would like to really know when these were actually published.
Edited by novicestamp428 - 11/18/2019 6:22 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05