Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Cent Washington Red Line Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys-

I am not a stamp collector but acquired a large box of stamps about 30 years ago. There are 20000 plus stamps in the box mostly divided by type in envelopes. My only reference guide at present is eBay. I dumped an envelope of 2 cent Washington stamps and one on top has a red line. I noticed the ones with red lines command a premium. I have included a pic of the stack of 2 cent stamps and a scan of the one with a red line. I have not gone through the rest. Also, I do not know how to date this one. Any info appreciated-

From what I can tell none of the stamps in the box date past the 1930s or so.

Thank you for your help-

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6569 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "red line syndrome" is a scam - it is where the edge of the pane of stamps was

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 11/12/2019 10:06 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5722 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pendrak, welcome to the site. You can't base things on asking prices on eBay. As mentioned above the red line is referred to as a "cut line" and it is where the sheet of 400 stamps was cut into 4 panes of 100 stamps. To collectors these are less desirable than fully perforated stamps from the same sheet and sell for less.
Learn More...
7396 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   10:13 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome,
Here is an article on 'red lines' and how they are made.
http://stampsmarter.com/learning/ID_RareLines.html
Don
United States
3 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I guess it would not be worth my while to go through these since I don't know how to date them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6569 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This batch would still be a flyspeckers mecca

Peter
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sheetguy2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I noticed the ones with red lines command a premium.

pendrak....where did you notice that?? eBay??
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6569 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"My only reference guide at present is eBay".

Peter

Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi pendrak,

Welcome. I would suggest using the identification sections of the Stamp Smarter site as an aide in determining more info on your stamps.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa...ntifier.html

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3789 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay has an area "advanced" that gives the actual sold prices. Not the "pie in the sky"asking prices.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fly Specking? I'm a coin collector that has just got into VAMs and die verities. Looks like fly specking is something similar for stamp collectors. Someone mentioned that this hoard could be a "flyspeckers mecca".

I dumped out three more envelopes. Here is a pic. Is this something a flyspecker would be interested in? Let me know.

I am a member of the coin forum. I opened a new account for stamps. I may have messed up. What do I need to do?

Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 3c Jefferson and 3c Washington are more recent stamps than the red Washington. I don't think a lot of "flyspeckers" are interested in those more recent issues. Although you have enough there to find the really well-centered ones - if you don't want to search for the perfect specimen, someone probably does. And it looks like the badly-centered ones may have already ben pruned from this stack.

What are you looking to do with these stamps? Sell them for as much money as possible? Start collecting and sell the ones you don't want?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
802 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Petert4522,

I would have thought there's 'Less stamps with a line'... therefore slightly higher value ?.

My reason......fully perf'd stamps occupy the rest of each sheet.

Surprised by Stallzer comments above indicating the opposite.

Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would have thought there's 'Less stamps with a line'... therefore slightly higher value ?.

Collectors want the best centered, best looking stamps. The straight edges are more rare but have never been looked on as attractive.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5722 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While it is true the natural straight edge stamps are less per sheet collectors view the cut lines / natural straight edges as faults so therefore they sell at a fraction of the price as the fully perforated stamps.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Value is determined by two factors, rarity and demand. Stamps with a red line (or with a natural straight edge and no line) are rarer than fully perforated but the demand is much less, hence a lower value. It doesn't always make sense but that's how it is.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05