Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian KGV Stamps explained.  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3165 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   02:51 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
A History of K.G.V Stamps

Australia began life as a penal colony of Great Britain & as such had no real identity of her own for the first 100 years or so of her modern history. All that changed with Federation in 1901.

Federation meant Australia became a Nation in her own right & along with the legislative work of how the new nation would be governed were smaller questions, such as the issuing of the new nation's very first postage stamp.

This took rather longer than one would think & the new nation didn't issue its first stamp until 1913. There was massive disagreement over the design for the stamp. There was a strong anti~royalist lobby within the Labor Party, which included the post Master General. The Royalists in the Liberal Party were staunch monarchists.

In true Australian fashion the Labor Party, which was in government, held a competition to choose a design for Australia's very first national stamp. It was a very popular competition & drew over 1 000 designs but the 100 prize was eventually awarded to a man by the very un~British name of Hermann Altmann. His designs included a head of King George V, flanked by a kangaroo & the shield emblems of each of Australia's states.

The Labor Party didn't think much of this design & the government commissioned the water colourist, Blamire Young, to come up with something more *typically Australian*. Young submitted 10 designs using an Australian map outline with a kangaroo & these were eventually issued in various colours for different denominations from January 1913 onwards at the instigation of the Labor Party. However the stamp wasn't particularly popular with protests that it was *child~like* & many people in the wider population were staunch royalists & felt their monarch had been slighted. Nor was it popular with Australia's Head of State, King George V, who received samples of the first stamps for approval, & demanded to know why he was not on Australia's first stamp.

The story of KGV stamps is intrinsically linked to the political power plays of the recently formed Australian government: Labor Party versus Liberal Party. The Labor Party, actively seeking to assert its Independence from English rule, acted directly against the Australian Head of State, King George V, pushing their anti~monarchy agenda by releasing the first kangaroo issue stamps without officially recording the date of issue. The earliest post mark can be traced to January 1913.

Six months later, when there was a change of government & the Liberal Party came to power, one of the first things they did was order new stamps with the monarch, King George V on them. The Liberals were so keen to establish themselves as a pro~monarchy government they allowed the Australian Treasury to print engraved KGV stamps because the stamp printer of the day did not have the facilities to do engraved printings. At the same time they requested plates from England to begin the topographical KGV issues.

The KGV engraved issue, like the map & kangaroo issues, has no recorded 1st day of issue, yet by July 14th, 1914, when the topographical KGV was released, the 1st day of issue was duly recorded.

King George V was an avid stamp collector himself & helped build the Royal Philatelic Collection into the finest collection in the world. At one point he was Honorary vice~president of the Royal Philatelic Society of London. His collection is privately owned by the Queen, not the nation, & has never been counted or valued. It contains many unique items. King George's collection is housed in the red albums & was originally expanded by King George while he was in the navy & able to collect stamps from all over the world. Eventually he restricted his collection to the stamps of Great Britain & her dominions, including Australia.

Index for Denominational Explanations & some main topics Bottom of Page 13.
Send note to Staff
Edited by KGV Collector - 04/02/2012 10:27 pm

Pillar Of The Community
China
1313 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   06:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ZhangCheng to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGV Collector,

Thanks for sharing this history of KGV Stamps.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1650 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great history KGV really looking forward to the next installment.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
3607 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great history lesson KGV

Thanks for sharing.

Dianne

Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1755 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Giles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent work, KGV Collector! Very informative... thank-you.

I know the "'roos" are a popular series of stamps to study. many folks from around the world study them. I would say an equal number study the KGV Heads as well.

Quote:
Australia began life as a penal colony of Great Britain & as such had no real identity of her own for the first 100 years or so of her modern history. All that changed with Federation in 1901.

Standard Canadian Joke: Yes, those who settled Australia were criminals... the ones who settled Canada were never caught!

Good on ya, eh?

David
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add abutt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My Australian KGVs hold a prominent place in my Australian collection...as do the Roos. Thank you 'KGV Collector' for the interesting history.
Allan
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9740 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You KG5_collector...very informative..i am afraid the George 5 heads and the Roos all look alike to me..i need re education..i had a mint 10 shilling roo fall out of a beat up album I got in a box lot..my first thouught was.."can it be real ? " but it appears to be !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Learn More...
United States
4373 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well written synopsis.
Thank you for sharing.
KirkS
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add towards2112 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed well written.
My only contribution is that I have one (1) Aussie KGV. And
only one Roo.
Valued Member
86 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Quanah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Very interesting context.

How did the Kookaburra 6d get selected vs. just more KGV designs? It seems have been released around the same time.

Is there a story around the different dies and perforations changes?
Edited by Quanah - 02/07/2010 12:52 pm
Valued Member
Australia
308 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MmmmBalf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How did the Kookaburra 6d get selected vs. just more KGV designs? It seems have been released around the same time.

With the election of the Liberal government, the new Post Master General set about immediately replacing the Kangaroo series. The original idea was to replace all denominations with a different design, and work was undertaken to produce designs from d to 2. The history is incomplete due to a lack of records, but the 6d Kookaburra was the only one that made it to issue. It was designed by R. Harrison, the son of T.S. Harrison, the Commonwealth Note Printer at that time, who had also printed the first engraved KGV head. The perforation and gumming was undertaken by Cooke however, the Stamp Printer.

The onset of World War I delayed the issue of further new designs, and then a new Post Master General was introduced who made the decision not to proceed with the new designs. The Kangaroo & Map series stayed on as the higher values, while the KGV Heads were issued up to 14. There are some proofs of two others of the new designs, the 2d and 1/-.

Balf

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3165 Posts
Posted 02/08/2010   12:02 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. Having a leetle trouble posting an image for you...

Thanks for your input Balf. Great stuff.
Edited by KGV Collector - 02/08/2010 01:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3165 Posts
Posted 02/08/2010   12:07 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Australian King George the Fifth side~face definitive issues of 1914~1938.

A complete straight set or simplified set, all denominations & standard colour issues.
Edited by KGV Collector - 02/08/2010 01:31 am
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 02/08/2010   01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent history. Thank You.
Those stamps look very impressive when seen all together like that. I have just seen a few in person (so far). It would be nice if the catalogue publishers would display stamps just like this, all at once in a group as well as one at a time.
Learn More...
United States
4373 Posts
Posted 02/08/2010   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGVCollector:

I saw you working hard to get that scan posted -- thanks for persevering. It was worth the efforts; very handsome set.

KirkS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5557 Posts
Posted 02/08/2010   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, that's a nice group. Thanks for posting it.

C
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Show and Tell: Bermuda
  Are these stamps Chinese, Mongolian, ???
  This avatar please, thanks
  Is this 2 cent Jackson stamp ruined?
  Special Delivery stamps on Covers, Any value?
  How many fakes, forgeries and reprints are in your Big Blue
  My newly acquired Clipper covers!
  Can you help me identify these stamps?
  1918 Austria Overprint Query
  Would you pay this for a C19?
  well I didn't inherit, but trying to find if there's any value #1
  Strange colour 10c Sower stamp France
  Is this an Iranian postal stamp?
  CherryStone Extension Request - Declined
  Tell me I'm not alone on this.
  Are the red or green lines significant to value?
  Is this a Scott 147?
  What would you think of an Electronic Scott Catalog?
  UGH! Anybody got $4 they have no use for?
  Wallis and Futuna Islands stamps
  Does this Scott #10 still have any value?
  I also HAD to buy this stamp
  Postally Used Proofs
  Is this overprint an ink jet printing..?
  Using photobucket after 3rd party hosting being removed?

Show and Tell: Bermuda
  7 inch stack of Postcards - Give away
  PAA Clippers During WW2
  Special Delivery stamps on Covers, Any value?
  Russian Postmarks - Rossica collection
  Help with these cancellations (ferry, parcel, stock, war?)
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Russia Covers
  Strange colour 10c Sower stamp France
  Trade 634 'Smiling George' for 634b MH
  well I didn't inherit, but trying to find if there's any value #1
  Canada's 150th Anniversary and Canadian Stamp Achievements
  Philip Ryle Cartel New Ebay ID
  Would you pay this for a C19?
  Photobucket and Their Greed
  Tell me I'm not alone on this.
  How many fakes, forgeries and reprints are in your Big Blue
  My newly acquired Clipper covers!
  Is this 2 cent Jackson stamp ruined?
  Are these stamps Chinese, Mongolian, ???
  This avatar please, thanks
  France : The SCF Cinderella Catalogue.
  Penny black -How to detect forgery ?
  US #10/11 - Things you can see on unworn-plate printings with quality ink
  north ingermanland

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.93 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05