Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions About Self Adhesives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
19 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oldmanriver to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just picked up my Canada collection a year ago after not touching it for years. Question is what year did Canada stamps become self adhesive. Scott catalog is not much help. I have a ton of 1991 on up stamps that are on paper but not sure what to soak and what to leave on paper. United States had a pretty definitive point where they switched to self adhesives across the board but don't see that with Canada. Anyone happen to know?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
6571 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oldmanriver

Canada's first 100 stamp self adhesive coil...It was 45 cent domestic rate stamps...It was issued in 1998...Any others probably can be soaked.

Robert

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
755 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Olmanriver, all Canadian self adhesive stamps can be soaked free of paper and gum. Just takes a little longer in a luke warm bath.

The U S gummed self adhesive is totally different and requires a much different approach.

Edit: As to Canada's first self adhesive stamp issue, that would be the 38c Flag over Forest stamp Sc#1191 issued rouleted/die cut in booklet of 12 on June 30th 1989. Designed by Gottschalk & Ash International and Engraved by Ashton & Potter Limited.
Edited by No1philatelist - 11/12/2019 11:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldmanriver to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks to all for the info. I wasn't aware that you can soak the Canada self adhesives off the paper. Now I can get started soaking the huge amount I have off the paper and get them mounted.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05