Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Honest Question, Anything Goes On Stamps Or Just A Marilyn Monroe

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Louise411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These are purported to be real postage stamps first issued in Finland in 2014 and are accepted in every country but Russia. Well, ok. They need revenue. I like the old Presidents and dignitaries and then we went to Art and architecture and war and inventors and celebrities
and so now what I guess I am asking is. Is this different than nude Greeks? Why? What do you think of this? I am just interested to read different opinions.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Louise411 - 11/12/2019 7:11 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6570 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Louise, did you mean to post this twice ? You can send a note to staff and ask to remove one

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter
I did that and they did. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4429 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   6:48 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well-known, and widely published, particularly by Taschen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_of_Finland

... and harmless, unlike many of the "old dignataries".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3278 Posts
Posted 11/12/2019   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postal administrations around the world are desperate for money. There are far more face-different stamps, souvenir sheets, and "whatever" issued than are necessary. If some portion of these things are bought and never used, then that increases revenue. Some can be cancelled and sold, and the rest shredded.

So, in my opinion, yes...anything goes.
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What's the deal with the hat?
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello rmatossian
I think that the hat is a parody of the nazi skinhead homosexual hate. Sort of like the ymca song. I like drawing and cartooning and I think this is a sort of humor. But, although I knew about it, I did not know they were on stamps. It has got me to thinking about humor. What is the difference between Satire and Parody?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4429 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   6:06 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a classic "look" - take a look at Kenneth Anger's Scorpio Rising on youtube.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hellloo boy
This is great, I watched the whole thing and now I have to get the afterthoughts and it is a lot to think about. Great stuff. Very modern really. I think I will write out and e-mail you my impressions and thoughts as I do not know what they allow in terms of religion - politics but real is a word that comes to mind. Thank you Geoff for sharing,
Louise
Edited by Louise411 - 11/14/2019 04:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
768 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom of Finland's artwork is definitely not my cup of tea, but hey, different strokes for different folks. I have a number of topical stamps in my "Random Stuff That I Like" binder that some people would find tacky, trashy, vulgar, or even downright offensive.
Valued Member
Ireland
178 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I dont think anyone outside Finland gets an opinion on what Finland puts on its stamps.
By common consent and on any Index, Finland is one of the world's good guys.
A one country stamp album is a "Greatest Hits" album....whether its your nation or my nation or Finland, it is about the Best of History, Art, Music, Sport, Literature, Landscape, Flora, Fauna, Spirituality, Mythology.
Who makes the judgement? Well...your post office, my post office and the Finland post office.
Finland says this is part of who we are in 2014. And that's good enough for me.
Stamps are not just about Centenaries, BiCentenaries...the key thing is that those things dont change....Gettysburg was 1863, Moon Landing 1969, Yorktown 1781...so stamps are about how events are interpreted at the date of issue.
Finland is simply saying "this is who we are" and on balance what Finland is ...is good.
Edited by FitzjamesHorse - 11/14/2019 7:24 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05